Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-08-2017, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcrew View Post
I was just about to mention the tropical storm aspect. In my 25 years of flying, I have had to pull the alternate static once on a Mooney and it was because it was parked outside during a tropical storm the night before. Shortly (within a minute) after takeoff the instruments were not telling the truth and I was in the clouds already. Very scarry moment and at the time I had about 100 hrs. Pulled the alternate static and all was well. For 15$, it will give me peace of mind.

Sorry do dig up an old thread, was reading back a little. Yes this is my first post. I have been reading for a few months and started my emp kit about a month ago.
Welcome to VAF - hope you will find more opportunities to contribute. A great bunch - kinda like a family, spirited conversations!

99% at the hangar now
Old 06-08-2017, 07:56 PM

Default good to be prepared...to fly partial anything

Installing a cabin-based alternate air is a good thing, does add one more place for a leak....but at least an easy one to find and we do build to suit, and making ourselves comfortable in the cockpit with equipment AND the right skill set is ours alone to implement. I did not install a cabin static vent on my 10 due to having the redundancy in back, the location, and the ability in the 10 to easily make it a self-draining system. Water build up in the line is extremely difficult to imagine how it can occur. Not to mention we pretty much all have GPS readouts of altitude that are 100% independent from the static ports. On the list of instruments I have lost during IMC flight, static port blockage is the easiest to deal with, ONCE RECOGNIZED. Lets face it, some really serious commercial crashes are due to autopilots/pilots making single instrument focused death dives in what were perfectly flying aircraft with engines purring along or not, they still glide quite well when kept upright....
RV10 slow build & flying & loving it
Old 06-08-2017, 09:10 PM

Default Used it on my first flight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N427EF View Post
Why are you even contemplating an alternate static source?
In 35 years of flying, I have never heard of anyone having a static line blockage.
Isn't one of the reasons for installing 2 static ports as per plans to build redundancy into the static system?
We don't install 2 pitots where blockage of ice or bugs is much more common
than on static ports.
Like piper and Cessnas, an alternate static port can be tucked away under the seat or behind the panel where it is still accessible from the pilot's seat.
That is a neat looking switch from Stein.

Not sure how you would monitor your static pressure.
On my first flight home when I bought my Rv- 10 when I was at descending for landing I was about to reduce my speed to approach speed but i found that the speed was too good to be true. I flip the switch to the alternate static and I am glad I did because finally I was already at the approach speed with to the new speed indication

I found after that there was a water in the line from the static in the tail to the front. The plane has been outside for two years before I bought it.

Me too i've put the switch of steinair
Rv-7 emp completed but waiting boys to be older to help
donation 2017 done ( little bit earlyer)