Originally Posted by Rob H
For all of you RV12 builders, I'm working on the fiberglass extension that holds the wingtip strobe/light. It calls for epoxy and flox to build up the area where it seats against the outer flange rib.
Also, in a later step, I need to put proseal under the inner side to seal to the skin.
What specific products are recommended and where do I order from?
I second using West Systems for the epoxy. You can get that from ACS, along with cotton filler, but you can also buy it from Amazon. For around the edges, all it really requires is an adhesive sealer. Van's recommend pro-seal because, and I quote, "we have a lot of it laying around here" - but any good, paintable sealant will work. I recommend DAP Dyanflex 230. It's about $4 from your local hardware store in a large tube, is paintable, and works very well; with the added advantage that you can remove it if ever needed to. An occupational hazard of mine is that I'm always thinking "how will I work on that?". The Dynaflex can be removed with Lift-Off pretty easily; Pro-Seal? not so much...
- RV-12 N975G, SN 120840, Build in progress...finally on the finishing kit, so, something like 90% done and 90% left to go.
- 1975 B58 Baron, N1975G (a bottomless money pit that makes building an RV look like lunch money, but it's a great airplane, hauls the family and my wife likes two engines...go figure)
- 1961 A33 Debonair, N433JC (R.I.P.)
- RV7A; didn't finish it and donated to kid's club
- Zenith CH601XL; flying somewhere in Louisiana https://youtu.be/wa_Y_A_rP_8
Last edited by rongawer : 05-29-2017 at 08:51 PM.