- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-29-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N333M View Post
Thanks for the reply Steve.
The Flaps definitively are not in alignment now with the fuse. Prior to my adjustment, they were even with the fuse at the root..both the same..no gap. now..the left flap after I adjusted it far enough to take the pressure off the stick..is about 3/4 inch lower at the trailing edge next to the fuse. This equated to a 3 degree increase on my Stabila digital level.
IN regards to being aligned with the wings. Not sure where to reference.
Should the top of the flaps when retracted (full up) be perfectly level with the top of the wing? (which has a bit of a dip in the last foot of airfoil)

when I lay a 4 ft level across the aileron and flap,, and I pull the aileron to match the bottom of the level, the leading edge of the aileron is high enough that the level does not touch the wing for about a foot, with the gap under it better than a 1/4 inch at the trailing edge of the wing.

I dont have the blueprints for this craft btw, the builder passed away before I got them..about two weeks after I bought it. I have the builders manual, the builders photo log, and the aircraft logs..still hoping the widow finds the prints.
the method I used was to measure with a scale from the aft edge of the flap to a rivet line on the wing. make both sides the same. crude but effective. a friend advised me of this method after several unsuccessful attempts to correct the heavy wing.

Simplicity is the art in design.

Last edited by Steve Melton : 05-29-2017 at 09:45 PM.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry DeCamp View Post
Excellent advice above to assure effective coponents are working together properly. That said, i recently posted re: RV3 that I was able to transition from C172!aileron feel to fingertip rolls just due to aileron traling edge radius. Just another datapoint for your quest !
An RV-9 has riveted ailerons with trailing edges that are constructed totally different than your RV-3 so it is not possible to adjust them like many of the other RV's.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")