- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-9/9A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ato14a View Post
I don't think it changes the shoulder room.

It gives more head room but still very close if you have a long torso.

I didn't put the covers on the outboard corners as it would require taking the rollover off to install them so they are still uncovered like when new from plans with the original crossbar ends installed under the crossbar.

If I were doing it again I would install the new crossbar before cutting out the old one as I think it would be easier especially on a slider. No chance for fuselage to change dimension.

There are several installs at KLMO just north of Denver if anyone wants to look,sit,fly.
....The new cross bar cannot be installed without removing the original.
If one were to do this, the new one would not be in the correct place, and
most of the engineering would be wrong. Thanks, Allan
Products, Tools & Services
Info@AntiSplatAero.com
Southern California (KREI)
RV-9A / Edge-540
(909) 824-1020
Old 07-30-2017, 07:46 AM

Default Aviator seat compatibility

Anyone know if there is any issue with the Classic Aero Aviator seats with this mod, since the seat backs are different? I have the mod (not installed yet), and just ordered seats. Would like to know in case I need to modify my order
Old 07-30-2017, 09:03 AM

I have the same seats. They fit fine. I removed the striker plate on the back that rests against the bar and turned it upside down so that it rests on the bar better. 5 screws as I recall. Mine is in the full back position. When u install yours u will see that it rests on the fabric above the striker plate. Simple fix.
In Phase 1
Old 08-28-2017, 11:06 AM

Default happy with the seat mod

Just want to chime in and say I installed the seat back mod in my 9A slider and I am very happy with it. also..my wife is happy!..we notice the shoulder room difference, as we are not shoulder to shoulder anymore. does not seen like alot when you look at the 2 seats empty, with one forward from the other, but it give the ability to adjust so as not to rubbing shoulders, so to speak.
I have 3 piano hinges on the floor for the seat back btw, and I even further modified the seatback flap, which is the part hinged to the upper seat back, on both seats, with a 1 inch wide by about 8 inch long, slightly bent along the length in the center, so as to give 3 positions for the upper seat back. I riveted this to the underside of the seatback flap, and it gives a "middle choice" I am 5'11 and 195, and I generally fly with the bottom of the seat in the furthermost aft piano hinge, and the upper seatback flap in the middle position on the seat back flap/rest.
when we travel , she likes the passenger seat all the way back in both top and bottom, and has no trouble keeping her feet away from the rudder pedals, and not be scrunched up..she is 5'8" tall..this puts our shoulder about 2 inchs or so off center from each other, and give a huge perception of more room. Just feels better.
I also installed the super track extender slider rails, another really good mod. with the extended canopy rails the canopy now goes back far enough, when she gets out, she can get her butt up on the back of the seat without the canopy diggin her in the back.. much easier for egress and entry. These are probably the 2 best mods one can make on this airframe, for ergonomics, in my opinion. FWIW!
hmm..the canopy shade might come close too!
Kitfox IV (SOLD)
Luscombe 8A (for sale)