Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-7/7A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2017, 08:25 PM

Default ACK E-04 ELT has triggered 3 times while stationary.

We finished our 3rd RV build this last November and in the past 5 months our ACK ELT-04 406mhz has gone off 3 times in our hangar while stationary.
I've received calls from SAR and I've called ACK technologies to find an answer. They said they haven't received complaints of this nature and to send it in if I want them to look at it. I've rechecked the installation, batteries and static suppressor near the antenna. I've installed ELT's in the past 4 airplanes we've built, this is the first with a GPS input.

Tonight I was dusting off our airplane with a "California duster" dusting mop and my ELT went off AGAIN! I noticed static build up while dusting.

Has this happened to anyone else?
Thanks for any input on this.
Tom
Old 05-20-2017, 05:46 AM

Interesting, so they use a mechanical or electronic G load-accelerometer sensor?
Old 05-20-2017, 08:00 AM

There was a similar issue with one brand of 121.5 ELTs a number of years ago, where RF & other stray energy would trigger them. Couldn't find any internet references, but IIRC, it started after the FAA started requiring remote indicator/control panels visible to the pilot (long runs of wire & an extra circuit board was an entry point into the ELT).
Old 05-20-2017, 08:28 AM

As a data point, I use a California Duster to dust the surfaces of my RV-12 -- no ACK ELT-04 issues in past three+ years.
EAA #23982 - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 510+ hours (as of June 2017)!
VAF donation through June 2018.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:30 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bret View Post
Interesting, so they use a mechanical or electronic G load-accelerometer sensor?
That's the sensor, but it can also be triggered by the remote panel switch.

Perhaps an intermittent short in the cable to the remote sensor?
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 05-21-2017, 09:47 PM

I am dealing with this exact same thing in our Cessna 172K. We had a brand new ACK E-04 ELT put in (replaced an old 121.5 only ELT) back in June of last year.

A few weeks ago, it goes off at 6:50-ish AM while the plane is happily and safely tied down at the airport. It took over an hour before we could get someone to turn the ELT off, so we had to spend several hundred bucks on getting a new battery.

New battery goes in, and its fine for another week or so. Then, our CFI takes a student up, and the ELT triggers while they are about 2k feet in their climb. They called guard and explained they were indeed safe and the ELT is acting up, and headed back to airport. Luckily only about 15 ,minutes or so was used on this new battery. The student had to keep disarming the thing while the CFI flew them back.

our A&P pulled it, and called ACK. They had us send it for warranty repair and its supposed to be back Tuesday-ish. They fixed/replaced it under warranty but we didn't get an explanation as to what went wrong.

A friend in our EAA chapter also had his ACK E-04 act up doing the same thing a few months ago. That ELT was installed around may of last year. I wonder if a bad batch didn't go out around the first of last year or something.
Wing Kit on its way!
My Build Log: http://www.theskunkwerx.com

VAF Donation paid for 2017