- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkervaski View Post
That's exactly what I did, which means the skin would have to have #30's and my OCD wouldn't let me live with it so .. new parts ordered!
Now I don't feel as dumb. I think the wording on that step should be changed...

For reference its 8-4, step 2:
Clamp the spar cap in place. Match-Drill #30 the 1/8 [3.2 mm] holes of the spar web into the entire length of the spar cap.

I missed the "web" and instead drilled the flange as you did. Horizontal stab is done now and it is smooth sailing after that mistake.

RV-14A
Status: Project FOR SALE , Wings complete, Tail kit 25%. Location:MA
http://vans14a.blogspot.com/
Old 05-04-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBoston View Post
Now I don't feel as dumb. I think the wording on that step should be changed...

For reference its 8-4, step 2:
Clamp the spar cap in place. Match-Drill #30 the 1/8 [3.2 mm] holes of the spar web into the entire length of the spar cap.

I missed the "web" and instead drilled the flange as you did. Horizontal stab is done now and it is smooth sailing after that mistake.
The spar flange has 3/32nd holes so the wording is correct.
Something that might help new builders is to keep in mind that the majority of the time when possible, the prepunched holes are punched close to final size, so if you are about to enlarge a hole much beyond what is is already punched, take one more look at the instructions and make sure you understand.

Also review the difference between the definition of match drill and final drill in Section 5.
Match drill means using an existing hole as a guide or pilot hole to make a hole of the same size (or very close to it) in another part.
Final drill means enlarging a hole from what it is now, to its larger/finial diam.

In a nut shell.... if you see "match drill", you should not be using a drill bit that is much larger than what the punched hole is.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")

Last edited by rvbuilder2002 : 05-04-2017 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:43 PM

Scott,

I totally agree, and after the fact stared at it and couldn't believe that "I just did that". In my case I stopped after 4-5 holes because I realized it made no sense, but It was a new type of part for me (undrilled spar caps) so maybe this is just what you do... learning experience. I just thought it was interesting that someone else made the same error as I figured I was the only one

Thanks!

RV-14A
Status: Project FOR SALE , Wings complete, Tail kit 25%. Location:MA
http://vans14a.blogspot.com/
Old 05-04-2017, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceEicher View Post
I'm lucky to be based at Aurora. I take my Walk of Shame right up to the counter, they know my name. It does not stop after the build much either. Brake pads, because I taxi with too much toe pressure, baffle parts because I missed the oil cooler reinforcement mod, a new hat because you can't taxi with your head hanging out the side!
Bruce, I would love to see your plane in person one day! I am based out of Twin Oaks currently, but will most likely move to Aurora after my plane is finished.

Any chance? Sorry for the high jack...
Private pilot, ASEL!
EAA 105 Chapter 7S3
Dues paid 2017

Dietrich:
Looks like some sort of secreted resin...

Hicks:
Yeah, but secreted from *what*?
Old 05-04-2017, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBoston View Post
learning experience.
Exactly

There are going to be mistakes. Particularly in the beginning.
Not stressing over them, but just counting it as part of the education process makes it all go a lot easier.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")