- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > The Never Ending Debate Section > Polishing your RV
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2017, 01:25 AM

Default This is the true stuff :)

Ahh this crawl is always a source of questions !
Yes it is real aluminium but still a standard fiber crawl X)
3 month of internet research to find a product that will give the real look that will dull like the rest of the plane.

Search "flite metal" on internet, you tube videos on how to apply etc.. it was desinved to cover big rc model aircraft and hold on over 600kph... assuming it is enouth for our birds lol
It can be compared to aluminium tape but thicker and amazingliy stronger aderance.
It was hard to put on cause conformable on only one axe... or accept only a verry few concave/covex deformation.
Most of my covering on the crawl is 3 yers old and have seen rain in flight sometimes, and sill there in better look that on day one, and even better aderance (tested on replacmenet of a little "pannel" due to a scratch)

Thank you for the positive comments a out the look of it, i work hard to give it the right look with precisely scaled details, historical research on typo for usaaf tail serial numbers, real wwii usaaf federal standard paint references. And over all trying to keep balance betwen evoquation of the p-51 or wwii warbird without going to far.

Last edited by Antoine.S : 04-20-2017 at 01:53 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:08 AM

Oh, good... For a minute there I was wondering if this new polishing method was so good that it would bring a chrome shine to fibreglass!
Old 04-21-2017, 01:55 PM

Default Polished Airplanes...

I love polished airplanes, but I recently sold my Globe Swift partly due to trying to keep it looking nice and bright. I'm much more pleased with the Imron paint on my RV-4.

Anyone looking for a Cyclo Polisher?

1994 RV-4 N4WJ (Purchased/Flying)
1946 J-3 Cub N7155H (Restored/Flying)
1946 Globe Swift N3368K (Purchased Restored/Flying SOLD)
1987 Starduster Too SA-300 (Purchased/Flying/SOLD)
1994 V6STOL (Built w/dad/SOLD)

US Army Retired (still working to pay for flying)

When my ship comes in, I'll probably be at the airport.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:43 AM

Ok, my plane is not an RV, forgive me, it's a polished Cessna 140. I gave up on everyone's shortcuts. I polish with Nuvite, clean it with mineral spirits. I've tried the Glass Plus and Perfect Polish that the Airstream crowd uses, but eventually decided that just polishing every three months works best for me. Nuvite even makes a product that is rumored to be watered down S, but I've never tried it.

Sometimes the plane doesn't look like it needs a polish until I get started, then the results motivate me to finish. Once your plane is polished, use a little F7 if you see any scratches, but mostly you'll only need S. It may take a weekend, but you'll get great results.

And for someone who said, look at your cloth when using one of the shortcut methods and you'll see it's black, so it's polishing... to me this just means you didn't get all of the polish off before. Polishing involves work. Don't look for too many shortcuts. Just enjoy the time where nobody will stop by your hangar and bother you!

Old 04-25-2017, 07:54 AM

Jack... Nice 140. I notice it has fabric wings, which cuts down your polishing time significantly... I may still paint my wings yellow and keep the fuselage polished, as an homage to the old air force schemes used on Ryans. That would cut down the polishing time, and what's left would be a fuselage that's easier to reach than the bottoms of the wings...
Old 04-25-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
Jack... Nice 140. I notice it has fabric wings, which cuts down your polishing time significantly...
Agree. I've been helping a friend polish a 170 with metal wings... yuck!
Old 04-25-2017, 09:12 AM

Beautiful. Simply beautiful.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:14 PM

Fly'n low-> what a nice aiplane and a wonderfull polishing job! congratulations!! like you since my method is a new try for me i will maybe keep polishing every three mounth or so..

just a little thing about the "black cloth=polishing action" my plane was completely (or near it) clean of polish residue cause like you i clean it with mineral spirit after several times after the polishing job.
since the cleaning period was achieve my cleaning cloth were just wet and bugs dirty but not black.
That's mostly why i presume that this method got a polishing action.

maybe give it a try?

it will be maybe harder to get fast result on your sublime cessna
(i was looking for one like this one with metal wings before buying my RV!)
cause the got "the real deal"->your aluminum sould be "T6" grade? our rv's are "T3"...

the T6 is harder to polish by nature cause the metal is "harder" but keep the deep shiny look longer.

the T3 is easyer to make shine (less action for the same result so why the method i propose "only wiping pshiit pshiit" lol ) but it won't last and it'll be scratched with a "nothing" : (

Last edited by Antoine.S : 04-25-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:32 PM

I'll admit I'm not an expert, but I started with a shiny plane and have kept it that way. I'm now polishing a new plane and don't envy you guys who have built at all!

I recently had a guy with a Spartan tell me to try baking powder after a polish. You put it on your cloth and wipe it on the plane, and with a clean rag, you'll be surprised at how much polish you get off even after wiping with mineral spirits. I tried it, then decided it wasn't worth the effort for me! Nuvite also recommends spraying mineral spirits and using the orbital with a clean polishing cloth to go over it. I just can't see using extra cloths for that though!

Keep posting these tips! Until you find just the right mix for you, keep trying new methods. When you find what works, stick with it. The metal gets better every single time.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynlow1 View Post
Nuvite also recommends spraying mineral spirits and using the orbital with a clean polishing cloth to go over it. I just can't see using extra cloths for that though!
I think Nuvite's entire business model is based on selling those cloths...