What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

best ear buds and placement

rwarre

Well Known Member
Recently purchased the Halo headset. Having trouble eliminating the low frequency and thought it might be either the wrong ear bud or how I put them in my ears. Anyone have any procedures that work on getting a good fit or ear bud preferences? Thanks

I find the plain yellow foam work best.

More often the problem is not having them fully inserted.
The technique of pulling the ear lobe back while pushing them in takes a little practice.

Also make sure they're warm and dry - not always the case if you leave them in the cockpit!

I found the stock yellow foamies to be very good, but opted to have a set of custom plugs moulded earplugs. These have worked out very well for me. Low frequencies are very nicely attenuated. Costco will pour the custom ear moulds.

Airtight fit in the ear canal is important for effective noise reduction. Custom molded plugs can work but there's no guarantee until you try them. My canals change shape when I move my head, so I need flexible plugs to keep the canals sealed. The silicone plugs don't block quite as much as the foam, but seal well for me and are the easiest to insert.

FWIW,

Charlie

The silicone plugs don't block quite as much as the foam, but seal well for me and are the easiest to insert.Charlie

My experience was just the opposite. I couldn't get the foam to work plus they got dirty "rolling" them to fit. I was about to sell mine until I tried the gray silicone ones. Happy camper now.

Back