What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

In defense of Vans

N941WR

Legacy Member
With the two Service Bulletins Van's recently released, three, if you count the RV-12 fuel tank, I would like to thank Van's.

Van's does not build airplanes. They do produce miscellaneous parts that can be assembled into planes, or boats, or anything the builder wishes.

Because of this distinction, Van's does not need to issue SB's but does so because "it is the right thing to do".

Unlike certified aircraft, which are identical, Van's has no way to know or engineer a kit for all the different engine and propeller combinations that people will stick on their kits. (Every thing from IO-540's stuck on RV-7's and -8's to V8's and turbines on RV-10's. Two, three, and even four bladed props, etc. It is a miracle that Van sleeps at night!) The tail group takes one heck of a beating and different engine/prop combinations make it near impossible to determine if a problem will raise its ugly head.

I'm extremely happy that I built an RV, that Van's is standing behind their kits and not ignoring a few reported issues like some other kit manufacturers have done in the past.

Thank you Van's!

Last edited by a moderator:
...Van's does not build airplanes. They do produce miscellaneous parts that can be assembled into planes, or boats, or anything the builder wishes. Because of this distinction, Van's does not need to issue SB's but does so because "it is the right thing to do"....

Hey Bill, I too appreciate Van's issuing SB's, but I believe they have a responsibility to do so and not just because "it is the right thing to do". There is no question that they sell kits to build airplanes. Not boats or other vehicles. And unlike boats and other vehicles, certain design/mechanical/other failures can lead to death and destruction and a broad scale. The latest SB is sound solution to a likely minor problem. It was the right AND responsible solution.

To Van's I say, thanks! Makes me feel much better know that the "produce(r of) miscellaneous parts that can be assembled into planes" is attentive and active in keeping our planes safe.

I thnk Vans does a excellent job. Every aircraft ever built has had issues. We will see more issues with our RV's in the future. Cracks are a fact of life in a aluminim structure. The initial design should and I am confident in a RV does insure there is redundancy for when not if cracks occur.
Vans service to me has also been excellent even though I purchased the aircraft used and never purchased anything from them. On a last note I flew Navy aircraft with so many stop drilled cracks that you sometimes wondered if they would all link up and the aircraft would implode in a cloud of dust!
George

I alwasy felt great about VANs and those feeling have been reinforced much more now.

THANK YOU VANS

Van's wins the Gold

I've been part of Van's family as a builder since 1984. I have nothing but respect for the man, the company and the employees that represent the company, and the products they put out.

Which other kit manufacturer has a self-appointed employee cruising these forums giving unofficial advice and guidance that you can count on.

Any builder that quibbles or complains about the inconvenience of Service Bulletins needs to buy factory built certified aircraft.

Agree with all of you ...

Thanks, Bill, for making the OP. I looked at a lot of options before I chose to build an RV. When I saw that Vans had more planes flying than ALL the other mfgrs had kits sold, it was a done deal. Every time I fly my RV I'm appreciative of the design, kit quality, and total support I received from Ken, Gus, Joe, and the other guys. it's been a fabulous life experience, and I'm nothing but appreciative. :)

With the two Service Bulletins Van's recently released, three, if you count the RV-12 fuel tank, I would like to thank Van's.

Van's does not build airplanes. They do produce miscellaneous parts that can be assembled into planes, or boats, or anything the builder wishes.

Because of this distinction, Van's does not need to issue SB's but does so because "it is the right thing to do".

Unlike certified aircraft, which are identical, Van's has no way to know or engineer a kit for all the different engine and propeller combinations that people will stick on their kits. (Every thing from IO-540's stuck on RV-7's and -8's to V8's and turbines on RV-10's. Two, three, and even four bladed props, etc. It is a miracle that Van sleeps at night!) The tail group takes one heck of a beating and different engine/prop combinations make it near impossible to determine if a problem will raise its ugly head.

I'm extremely happy that I built an RV, that Van's is standing behind their kits and not ignoring a few reported issues like some other kit manufacturers have done in the past.

Thank you Van's!

Amen :D Rosie

Back