What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Introduction, and maybe a little bit of advice

aitor11

First of all let me introduce myself. My name is Aitor, I live in Irving and last January started building an RV-9A. This forum has been an amazing learning resource, and I'm very thankfull for that.

In the last couple of months I've been able to work and finish both the vertical and horizontal stabilizer. As many people before me, I had to re-order a couple of parts to replace, and reassemble with results that I feel are decent. This bring me to the question, How can I be sure that what I'm doing is right?.

Let me explain. I took the fundamentals class at Synergy Air and learned a lot. Using that knowleadge plus my previous experience restoring cars, assembling engines, compressors, pumps and the like I've been able to get through the build. I can read the plans and pretty confidently know what to do and when. The problem I have is that I keep doubting myself. I do not have a way to compare my job to what it is good, and what is not. The last rivets I set in my horizontal were the ones between HS905, HS904, doubler, front spar and the shim. In general they are OK, a couple I feel should be better, but I do not feel capable of replacing them.

This last part is what made me write this post. Am I overthinking?. Should I just wait and look back at things that I may not like and re-do them later?. I simply should just let go and stick to cars or things that I know?.

Any piece of advice would be really appreciated.

Regards,

Aitor

P.D: I've been writing a little bit of my build here: http://aitor11.com

I always seem to step and and think.... Is what I just did a good result, or is it crap? Find a local builder/mentor who is willing to stop by and take a look periodically to help ease your mind as you gain experience. Luckily I have a friend who is an RV builder/aerospace engineer who actively works in the aircraft manufacturing field. He's helped in the mentoring process and gave me the thumbs up or down when I have several questions. As you gain experience you'll need less of this but always good to have at the start.

Also, on the rivets, the general word that is if you feel they are marginal, but in a spot you aren't sure about removal or may have difficulties, it might be better to leave them as you may do more harm than good. Many threads on VAF confirm, but generally and ugly rivet could still have 90% strength as a perfect one. Only a photo and response from the mothership will confirm.

Last edited:
When I finished my tail I carefully loaded it in the pickup and drove out to Mels place. He looked it over, signed it off and made me feel a lot better about my work. Good luck with the build!

Back