What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Low CHT

rwarre

Well Known Member
I have two cylinders(#2,#3) with low cht readings. 70 to 100 My EGT's are all real close on all the cylinders (1300). Oil pressure and oil temperature is normal for the cold weather. Engine runs great and sounds fine. I am thinking it has to be bad probes. I have MGL K type probes that screw into the cylinder. They are fairly inexpensive. I wonder if getter a better quality probe would help and can I get any K type probe that screws in or do I have to stick with MGL.

Move the probes from a cold cylinder to a hot cylinder and see if the problem follows the probe.

It's easy to check them by removing them from the cylinder and leaving them connected electrically while you direct the flame from a small lighter (or a heat gun) directly at the probe. Watch the engine monitor/EFIS for an indication.

Vic

I have seen this happen, if they are the bayonet style, that the probe is sitting back inside the spring, or is possibly not in far enough to actually touch the cylinder head.

Back