What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Loading next DB cycle into G3X

macrafic

Well Known Member
I know you can prematurely load the next DB cycle into the GTN650. It will automatically switch to the new cycle at the appropriate date.

I seem to recall that you can NOT do the same with the G3X, but I can't find a reference anywhere. Can somebody confirm?

I am asking because it takes 25 minutes to update each G3X screen, and I have 3 of them. If I could load the next cycle ahead of time, it would give me more flexibility (days) to get out to the airport and load them.

I know you can prematurely load the next DB cycle into the GTN650. It will automatically switch to the new cycle at the appropriate date.

I seem to recall that you can NOT do the same with the G3X, but I can't find a reference anywhere. Can somebody confirm?

I am asking because it takes 25 minutes to update each G3X screen, and I have 3 of them. If I could load the next cycle ahead of time, it would give me more flexibility (days) to get out to the airport and load them.

Hello Rich,

No, you can't load 2 copies of any database, but you can, of course, pick and choose what you load.

The system is happy as long as the navigation databases are the same on all three displays, and that only takes about a minute to load. You could slow roll the rest of them, especially the databases not on PFD1 in front of the pilot.

Thanks,
Steve

Hello Rich,

The system is happy as long as the navigation databases are the same on all three displays, and that only takes about a minute to load. You could slow roll the rest of them, especially the databases not on PFD1 in front of the pilot.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

Some clarification please. I use the US database bundle, which has Garmin Navigation, Obstacles, Safe Taxi, Airport Directory, FliteCharts, and Terrain.

I am in the same boat as the post above, where I install everything in two screens (50 minutes of life wasted:().

What do I NOT need to load in the PFD, and will all the information and data still be available in split screen on the PFD?

Steve,

Some clarification please. I use the US database bundle, which has Garmin Navigation, Obstacles, Safe Taxi, Airport Directory, FliteCharts, and Terrain.

I am in the same boat as the post above, where I install everything in two screens (50 minutes of life wasted:().

What do I NOT need to load in the PFD, and will all the information and data still be available in split screen on the PFD?

Hello Anthony,

As you know, there are 7 databases included in your database bundle, and any of them you want to be available in their latest form will need to be loaded to any display for which you want current data.

Rich was looking for more flexibility, and perhaps a way to not load every update on every display at once. I was just pointing out that the system is "happy" if all displays have the same all-important navigation database, so one option is to load PFD1 with all new databases, then just load the updated navigation database to the other displays. The next time you come to the airport (or after the flight), update another display with all of the updated databases until every display is up-to-date.

Not saying this makes sense or is recommended, but it is something that the system tolerates.

Some customers also make multiple copies of the database SD card so they can parallel load all displays at once.

Thanks,
Steve

Some customers also make multiple copies of the database SD card so they can parallel load all displays at once.

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks Steve - I was just wondering if the system was OK with multiple updates in parallel (as I was updating two screens serially this afternoon) - good to know this works!

Paul

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

I have done this parallel loading. Works good most of the time, I sometimes get the ?one or more ifr/vfr charts are corrupt? message. I then start one screen at a time to figure out which one has the bad file and reload it.

As always, thanks for your input to this forum!!

Back