What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can a B&C alternator run on a Plane Power regulator

dave4754

Well Known Member
Hello Gents

I have bit the bullet after years of reading the pros and cons for Plane Power and B&C alternators and have received the more expensive B&C.

Great looking unit, small and ideal in my RV 7.

However at one point I had decided to go with Plane Power but the recent poll and all the problems of late with their alts. I went with B&C BUT I now have a Plane Power regulator installed.

Question then is can my External B&C alternator use the External Plane and Power regulator or am I out another couple hundred bucks?

Any response greatly appreciated and yes I have scoured the search engine on this already thanks

Dave

Astounded by the replies!

Not!

One reply?

For the records, I phoned and talked to B&C and they said that the Plane Power would be ok to use.

However, the unit is conventional in handling the power as opposed to their's which is lineal. The latter is supposed to be less noise on Avionics.

Great looking unit, installed it yesterday with good results although one has to be intuitive with regard to what position to place the bracket on .

Dave

I (and likely many others) agreed with the one reply and did not feel a need to do the +1. A regulator is a regulator (or maybe not?)

Astounded by the replies!

Not!

One reply?

For the records, I phoned and talked to B&C and they said that the Plane Power would be ok to use.

However, the unit is conventional in handling the power as opposed to their's which is lineal. The latter is supposed to be less noise on Avionics.

Great looking unit, installed it yesterday with good results although one has to be intuitive with regard to what position to place the bracket on .

Dave

Sounds like you think VAF braintrust owes you a reply?
Actually I'm surprised you got any replies, likely because no one has done it and like me, would be hesitant to recommend something that we haven't done ourselves.

It always surprises me how many folks turn to VAF for technical advice that would be best/easily obtained from the manufacturer.

Last edited:
Not!

One reply?

I would have replied earlier but thought you wouldn't appreciate my comments about the B&C regulator being linear. I also thought you wouldn't appreciate me mentioning that I wouldn't care to mix a very solid alternator with a not-so-solid regulator from PlanePower. There... more than one reply now! :D

As long as it is a conventional alternator (not a permanent magnet dynamo) they all regulate by sensing the out put voltage, then modulating the voltage going to the field to keep the output voltage stable with varying electrical loads...a alternator regulator is a regulator (as long as it is designed for the same output voltage).

Back