What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Battery chargers Not approved

TLYNCH

Well Known Member
Warning: Of 9 manufacturer battery chargers reviewed Odyssey, all 9 had some restricted use with Odyssey batteries. Four chargers were to be used for trickle charge only.

No current Schumacher chargers are approved. Guess which one I had !
Just bought an Odyssey 12A

Here is Odyssey's approved battery Charger list:

http://www.odysseybattery.com/docume...ersApr2014.pdf

Tim

Warning: Of 9 manufacturer battery chargers reviewed Odyssey, all 9 had some restricted use with Odyssey batteries. Four chargers were to be used for trickle charge only.

No current Schumacher chargers are approved. Guess which one I had !
Just bought an Odyssey 12A

Here is Odyssey's approved battery Charger list:

http://www.odysseybattery.com/docume...ersApr2014.pdf

Tim
Try this one

http://www.odysseybattery.com/documents/ODYSSEYapproved12VchargersApr2014.pdf

I don't see my charger on the approved list? Lycoming O-320 spinning a B&C L-40 alternator. :D

All joking aside, I don't use an external battery charger on my B&C BC116-1 (PC680) battery. I fly my plane 1-2 times every week and after 4.5 years with 480 hours my battery it still cranking the engine very well, using the B&C light weight starter. Considering my engine is higher compression and both the battery and starter have to work harder to turn the engine this is proof enough for me the onboard charging system is good.

I know that there are a lot of threads on chargers, but I personally feel If I regularly use the plane like I do my truck it doesn't need an external charger.

Last edited:
Warning: Of 9 manufacturer battery chargers reviewed Odyssey, all 9 had some restricted use with Odyssey batteries.

Not surprising that Odyssey recommends Odyssey battery chargers.

But with recent aviation batteries in the news, I guess I would go with what is recommended by the battery manufacture. But I am sure my Battery Minder 12248-AA-S1 I bought 10 years ago is still ok even if not on the current list.

Last edited:
Agreed...... Only reason charging became such an issue ....is the SLSA had gas leaking floats since last July and was told NOT to start the motor.

Thankfully my A&P was able to get new carb floats finally just yesterday. So as a student, I can now practice on Skyview in the hanger without discharging both batteries. Can't wait for the snow to melt and get back to some CFI flying.

Tim

I have been using the battery tender for the last 5 years and have not had any issues with my battery, it cranks every time without any issues. Since I haven't had any issues, I will keep using it.

Like Curtis, I find this somewhat amusing since the main charging source for the battery is an alternator/regulator that is probably less controlled than a charger. I can see charging too fast and overheating, or long term charging with a poorly designed tender doing more damage than good, but this seems to be getting an inordinate amount of attention.

I think Aeroelectric Bob wrote about various chargers and recommended Schumaker as a very good charger for maintaining AGM batteries. I would have condidence in his recommendation. The big issue is the cutoff voltage off the charger. Too high and it damages the battery. The schumaker allows you to select from several different battery types, which presumably makes small adjustments to the cutoff Voltage.

Chargers for Odessey batteries

Notice that the Odessey chargers look exactly like the Schumaker just different color and twice the price for same current rating. Makes me wonder?

Could the Odessey chargers be OEM by Schumaker?

I've got to fly my plane for about 20 to 25 minutes down to my mechanic with a bad alternator. Mags on the bottom, electronic ignition on top. He said just charge up the battery, (Odyssey), and I'd be fine. My charger is a Schauer 12 volt 4 amp car battery charger. If I put it on for 30 to 45 minutes, stay and keep an eye on it, am I OK?

Notice that the Odessey chargers look exactly like the Schumaker just different color and twice the price for same current rating. Makes me wonder?

Could the Odessey chargers be OEM by Schumaker?
Could be built to different specs

I've got to fly my plane for about 20 to 25 minutes down to my mechanic with a bad alternator. Mags on the bottom, electronic ignition on top. He said just charge up the battery, (Odyssey), and I'd be fine. My charger is a Schauer 12 volt 4 amp car battery charger. If I put it on for 30 to 45 minutes, stay and keep an eye on it, am I OK?
That's what I would do.

I notice the comment in Odessey pdf about the CTEK charger "use the snowflake button". On reading the CTEK charger instruction manual I see that this chargers to a slightly higher cut off voltage 14.7v than normal 14.4v before switching to trickle mode. I take that to mean the manufacturer DESIGNED the battery to be charged to 14.7v not another voltage. The fastest way I know to ruin an expensive battery is to charge it at a less than ideal voltage.

I use a baby CTEK charger cost about $35-40 and think it is brilliant at making my car batteries last for years longer than they should.

If you shop hard for an approved charger and share it amongst a few friends the cost outwieghts the nuisance of a flat battery or the cost of replacing it.

Does Odyssey still make the chargers? I can't seem to find anyone who stocks them...

Hmmmm, I don't see my B and C alternator on that list either!

Makes me wonder about the approval process.

What makes one charger better than another?

I think people are charging good batteries and cooking them.

;) CJ

I decided to go for the (pricey) charger at http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin...069463-94-543&browse=electrical&product=g3500 - put it on a PC680 that was about 8 years old (including some time during the build) and whatever it does the battery now seems like it was when new. This is not on the approved list, but this seems like a very good charging solution.

I do try not to leave a charger just hooked up - flying being the preferred method of charging. Nevertheless, very good results with this.

Dan

I asked Battery Mart about their knowledge with the new Odyssey charger. The following was their response:

The OBC-12A is similar to the old OMAX-12A-1B 12amp, single bank charger. It will charger the same Odyssey batteries (PC310, PC370, PC535, PC545, PC625, PC680, PC925) as the old OMAX-12A-1B. The OBC-12A is a little larger at 9.25"L x 11.25"W x 3.88"H. The old OMAX-12A-1B is L 9.75 x W 7.5x H 3.25.

I have no advance knowledge other than information from the Odyssey site. As you are aware Odyssey batteries require a higher amp charge rate than a comparable AGM battery. These chargers are designed for Odyssey batteries but can also be used with other AGM as well as flooded batteries. The new chargers are available in 6 amp, 12, amp and 20 amp models. The new models have a battery gauge to show battery status versus the old model that had an LED display that you could switch for battery percentage or battery voltage. The new model has individual led status indicators showing the charge mode. Both the old and new model have alligator clamps. It doesn't appear the new model is available with quick disconnects. The new model is a fully automatic six stage charger.

The 10% off deal is currently available directly from the Odyssey website for preorders. I am still waiting on an answer from our sales department if we are going to carry the new models.

3500 charger

I decided to go for the (pricey) charger at http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin...069463-94-543&browse=electrical&product=g3500 - put it on a PC680 that was about 8 years old (including some time during the build) and whatever it does the battery now seems like it was when new. This is not on the approved list, but this seems like a very good charging solution.

I do try not to leave a charger just hooked up - flying being the preferred method of charging. Nevertheless, very good results with this.

Dan

I have one of those and the new version (Summer 2015 I think) has the recover mode but it's function was not mentioned in the manual that came with the charger.

A call to customer service said that the "recover mode" is only for wet cell batteries, not AGM ones.

From the updated manual they sent me -

CAUTION. USE THIS MODE WITH CARE. THIS
MODE IS FOR 12-VOLT LEAD-ACID BATTERIES ONLY.
THIS MODE USES A HIGH CHARGING VOLTAGE
AND MAY CAUSE SOME WATER LOSS IN WET
(FLOODED) CELL BATTERIES. BE ADVISED, SOME
BATTERIES AND ELECTRONICS MAY BE SENSITIVE
TO HIGH CHARGING VOLTAGES. TO MINIMIZE RISKS
TO ELECTRONICS, DISCONNECT THE BATTERY
BEFORE USING THIS MODE.

Not sure if this portion of the description on Vans web site is correct for a PC680-

A smart processor utilizes sophisticated levels of intelligence to alter the charge process based on feedback from the battery to extend battery life. An advanced recovery mode repairs damaged areas of the battery to provide longer, healthier battery performance; recovers deeply discharged and sulfated batteries with pulse charging.

What Gil said ... confusing.

But, hook it up, plug it in and let the charger figure out what's going on (battery type, voltages, charging requirements, etc.) - it works.

Dan

What Gil said ... confusing.

But, hook it up, plug it in and let the charger figure out what's going on (battery type, voltages, charging requirements, etc.) - it works.

Dan

Nah... not that confusing.

It might be called "Genius" but the user still has to select an operating mode with buttons. It's not quite as easy as your description above. :)

If you have a recent Genius 3500 charger with the "Recover" mode - newer ones about 9 months old or newer - the manufacturer says do not use that mode on AGM batteries.

Older units do not have a Recover button.

I have been using the NOCO Genius that I purchased from Vans for my RV7 Odyssey battery, but just today it would not turn on... i.e. when I plugged it in I did not get an orange "Standby" light... Tried numerous things but no joy to get it going. I confirmed current and all the obvious things. Tech support not open today...
Anybody else have issues with this charger?

Back