What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV 9 ?A? leg fairing gap to wheel fairing

ron sterba

Well Known Member
Have nose leg fairing installed & wheel fairing according to plans page C-1 detail ?C? of 3/16? gap between the two. Was wondering if you completed builders ( and flying) find that a larger gap is needed from your field testing? Or is factory # ok.
Thanks
RON in Oregon

Thanks Vlad, I was thinking it was a little close since my buddies 9As one got damaged and the other vibrates or rattles iam not sure what’s happening on his. I really hate this wheel pant thing!
Cheers
Ron in Oregon

Mine could use a little bigger gap. Currently at about 1/8" and there are a few small scuffs on top of the wheel pant.

Yep-I'd agree with Vlad (привет пилот 9А) give yourself 1/4" clearance between the fairing and wheel pant.

RV9A EFII 0-320-H2AD
Ford Motorsport roller rockers
Catto 3 blade
Steam gauge 4 pack
obsolete Lowrance GPS
paper charts
Proflame gas grill
donation made
:)

Last edited:
I started with the recommended 3/16" gap on mine and flew that way for a while. On first annual condition inspection I noticed the tire had rubbed about another 1/16" away and I trimmed the edges clean. Another year and a half went by and I experienced a flat nose wheel tire on landing, that wiped out about another 1/8" on the clearance and again I just cleaned the edges.

Quarter it is! It looks more comfortable too! Also poured a 3/4” high lip in front of the gear leg on that front wheel pant. Something iam noticing on a few more front wheel pant.
Ron

Quarter it is! It looks more comfortable too! Also poured a 3/4? high lip in front of the gear leg on that front wheel pant. Something iam noticing on a few more front wheel pant.
Ron

Ron,

I cannot visualize this 3/4" lip. Do you have a picture?

Back