What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cleveland Brake seals

DJP

Well Known Member
I have a RV-10, finished in 2006 that has Cleveland wheels and brakes. I need to replace the seals on the bearings (the bearings are OK) but I can not find the correct part numbers. I called Van's and they no longer support RV-10 Cleveland wheel parts so they do not have the part numbers. They directed me to Aircraft Spruce, but they did not know so they re-directed me back to to Van's. What's up with this??????????????

I know that the bearings are Timken LM29749 but there are no other numbers one the wheels or assemblies so I do not even know what Cleveland wheel assembly that I own, either does VANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone else had this problem? I know what the bearings are, I do not need them, only the seals.
Thanks,
Don

I downloaded a catalog from Parker that had all the Cleveland parts and breakdowns. Let me see if I can locate the link.

You will have to look at your parts list to be sure what calipers and wheels you have but if you send me your email, I'll send the pdf of the three pubs.

Last edited:
Cleveland Wheels

This is the problem, I have no way of knowing what I have! There are no markings on the wheels or any of the parts other than the bearings. I have the parts breakdowns from Cleveland but that doesn't do me any good since I don't know what Cleveland wheel assembly I have, and there are a ton of them. It is not in the plans, Van's does not know what it was, even though they have my serial number. There has got to be someone out there in RV-10 land and has a breakdown of the parts numbers. If so, please contact me.
Thanks,
Don
donaldjp at pacbell.net

This is the problem, I have no way of knowing what I have! There are no markings on the wheels or any of the parts other than the bearings. I have the parts breakdowns from Cleveland but that doesn't do me any good since I don't know what Cleveland wheel assembly I have, and there are a ton of them. It is not in the plans, Van's does not know what it was, even though they have my serial number. There has got to be someone out there in RV-10 land and has a breakdown of the parts numbers. If so, please contact me.
Thanks,
Don
donaldjp at pacbell.net
I sent the files, Don. The calipers will have a data plate with the part numbers.

A Cleveland data sheet came with my 7 parts, does a 10 owner have that sheet in the files? You will need it for the same reason that Don does.

On another note, Vans has a factory 10, I would guess it likely has the Cleveland wheels, maybe another call/email to get them to talk to maintenance would be in order.

I believe the number you want is 40-59, not sure of the suffix but that should get you in there. I have 40-59a, but check the caliper for a number.

-Marc

Last edited:
RV-10 Cleveland Brake Solution!!!!!

Thanks to everyone that responded to my question. After searching for two days around the internet and calling everyone that I could think of, I got in touch with Sandy at Parker Aerospace. What a lucky thing that was! She has been there for a long time and knew immediately all of the details about the RV-10 and why Vans was no longer using them on the RV-10. When I gave her the old Vans number of U 199-104A she knew exactly what I was talking about.

The Wheel Assembly number is 40-59A and the brake assembly in 30-59E. If you go to Parker.com and scroll down below the pictures of wheels you will see an option on the left side of the screen that is "Product Catalog". If you click on that you can down load the Parker catalog and find the parts breakdown for the wheels and brakes in question. I was able to get the part numbers for all of the seals but then I was having a problem being able to purchase them from one source. Spruce had a couple, Chief's had a couple and Sky Geek had a few but no one had them all. Then a A&P at my airport suggested McFarlane Aviation. I had never heard of them but they are amazing and had EVERYTHING! All of the parts will be here next week!

Back