What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bahama trip follow-up

Ivan Kristensen

Well Known Member
I just returned from my 4 day (3 nights) trip to the Bahamas in a nut shell it was a fantastic in every way. I began the trip fairly early the morning of Jan. 28 and flew to Fort Meyers airport (KFMY) where I picked up my long time friend Art Kampf. From there we flew non stop to New Bight airport (MYCB) on Cat Island in the Bahamas. Flight time was 2.3 hrs. Clearing customs there was easy and took only a frw minutes plus a fee of $60.00

IMG_0072-XL.png

P1070097-XL.jpg

As we were taxiing for departure in Fort Meyers we were treated a "front row seat" to the arrival of a couple of war birds.
P1070002-XL.jpg

P1070010a-XL.jpg

New Bight is the only Customs port of entry on Cat Island so we had to land here first.
P1070085-XL.jpg

We then transitioned from there to Hawks Nest airport (MYCH) only 13nm away. We were promptly met with a courtesy van to take us to registration even though it was on a few minutes walk away.
P1070077-XL.jpg

This is a view from the front door entrance to the resort.
P1070091-XL.jpg

P1070086-XL.jpg

P1070068-XL.jpg

Hi Ivan, Looks great. Would you maybe wanna explain all that stuff about filing to fly back to the USA, (I guess you've gotta do it before you take off from your last island??, does one use a computer on the island? Your smart phone? What happens with ATC, Do you have to avoid warning areas, eAPIS,etc etc ---you get the idea.

Looks like a very nice destination, Ivan. You've given me the "fever" to make another Bahamas trip.
We love Staniel Cay, but I think we'll try Hawks Nest next trip.

Good stuff Ivan. Nice to see some of us Canadians are flying...precious little flyable weather up here lately.

Cross border planning.

Hi Ivan, Looks great. Would you maybe wanna explain all that stuff about filing to fly back to the USA, (I guess you've gotta do it before you take off from your last island??, does one use a computer on the island? Your smart phone? What happens with ATC, Do you have to avoid warning areas, eAPIS,etc etc ---you get the idea.

There are 4 basic things that MUST be done for crossing the US border in a private airplane.

1. File a flight plan (VFR or IFR) If VFR be sure to get a transponder code.
2. File an eAPIS
3. Call US Customs and arrange with an officer to meet. (Only when returning)
4. Be in possession of a valid passport.

I use Fltplan.com for all my flight planning and flight plan filing. It is a totally free EFB that works equally well across all platforms. If you spend a little time setting you your particular airplane it will produce a very accurate printable flight log

Filing an eAPIS is not difficult, it does require that you setup your profile on this website https://eapis.cbp.dhs.gov/auth/login.html?resource_url=https://eapis.cbp.dhs.gov/eapisj/eapis/login

If you plan a trip to the Bahamas I highly recommend that you obtain a free "Bahamas Kit" from Banyan Aviation in Fort Lauderdale Fl. This kit contains all the information you need incl. telephone numbers and frequencies and much more. In addition it also gives you a step by step guide of how to fill out an eAPIS report.

To obtain this kit from Banyan FBO located at Fort Lauderdale (KFXE) click on this link for a free kit https://www.banyanpilotshop.com/fly-your-airplane-to-the-bahamas/

It is very important that contact be made with customs office at the intended airport of entry when returning to the USA. Be sure that you speak to an officer and set up a time for him or her to meet you upon arrival. When flying into Canada a call to Canpass at least 2 hours prior to arrival at a port of entry is required. They can be reached at 1-800-CANPASS.

Flying to the Bahamas no prior notification to the Bahamian customs is required. You are required to have a 3 copies of an Inbound/Cruising General Declaration filled out Plus a $60.00 fee. Also an Outbound Declaration is required for departing the Bahamas along with a $29.00 departure tax PP. These forms are all part of the kit from Banyan.

Good stuff Ivan. Nice to see some of us Canadians are flying...precious little flyable weather up here lately.

Hi Mark,
I feel your pain--sort of....I know S'Western Ontario can be a brutal place weather wise in January especially for flying a light airplane, seems like January was especially bad this year.

Here are a couple pictures to cheer you up. The first one was taken just as we were leaving the Florida coast line in the Palm Beach area on our way to the Bahamas.

P1070012-L.jpg

Overflying one of the many small Islands enroute.
P1070015-L.jpg

Not much of a beach at Hawks Nest but a nice place all the same.
P1070069-L.jpg

P1070087-L.jpg

P1070088-L.jpg

IMG_0086-L.jpg

IMG_0080-L.jpg

This picture was taken as we were approaching the coast line returning to Florida near Fort Lauderdale Executive airport (KFXE) where we landed to clear US Customs.
P1070107-L.jpg

Nice photos Ivan, thanks. They remind me of when I flew to the Bahamas from Page Field near Fort Meyers with my friend in his 182 a few years ago. We spent 3 nights on Lubbers Quarters Cay near Marsh Harbour. It's definitely on my bucket list to take the 8 down there...so many places to go.

I just returned from my 4 day (3 nights) trip to the Bahamas in a nut shell it was a fantastic in every way. I began the trip fairly early the morning of Jan. 28 and flew to Fort Meyers airport (KFMY) where I picked up my long time friend Art Kampf. From there we flew non stop to New Bight airport (MYCB) on Cat Island in the Bahamas. Flight time was 2.3 hrs. Clearing customs there was easy and took only a frw minutes plus a fee of $60.00

IMG_0072-XL.png

P1070097-XL.jpg

As we were taxiing for departure in Fort Meyers we were treated a "front row seat" to the arrival of a couple of war birds.
P1070002-XL.jpg

P1070010a-XL.jpg

New Bight is the only Customs port of entry on Cat Island so we had to land here first.
P1070085-XL.jpg

We then transitioned from there to Hawks Nest airport (MYCH) only 13nm away. We were promptly met with a courtesy van to take us to registration even though it was on a few minutes walk away.
P1070077-XL.jpg

This is a view from the front door entrance to the resort.
P1070091-XL.jpg

P1070086-XL.jpg

P1070068-XL.jpg

You look like brothers.

Back