What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Valve cover screws..

ccsmith51

Well Known Member
I have lost a couple of valve cover screws on my O-360. The last time I pulled the cowling there was one gone, one backed almost all the way out, and many a bit loose. I have replaced the missing ones with SS screws from Lowe's Aircraft Supply.

A few questions:

1) Where can I purchase the correct valve cover screws, or does it matter what I use? I'd like them all to look the same.

2) Can I put a dab of blue Loctite on the screws to secure them?

3) What is the proper torque for these screws?

Thanks,

Thanks, Tobin.

WOW, $1.28 per screw? That's pretty steep!! Unless someone tells me otherwise I think that I'll use some standard 1/4-20's with star washers from the hardware store...

screws

Stainless steel socket head screws from South Coast Stainless in Lake Havasu City AZ. Replace the lock washers every time you remove them.

The torque value for rocker cover screws depends on the type of gasket installed (cork or silicon). For proper values, check with the Service Bullletin or Service Letter that pertains to your engine.

Just for clarification, the 50 inch pounds quoted previously is correct for the standard Lycoming cork gasket.

Just for clarification, the 50 inch pounds quoted previously is correct for the standard Lycoming cork gasket.

Yes, Gil is correct. I got the 50 in/lbs from the Lyc manual. I actually swapped out my cork for silicone rubber and only used 25 in/lbs. I should have noted that in the original post.

button headed ss screws from the local Industrial Supply house makes a nice looking install.

They have a hex socket on the button head.

Back