What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Exhaust Configurations

caryr

Well Known Member
Patron
Vetterman crossover exhaust for IO360 with Superior Cold Air sump

What does "Superior Cold Air Sump" mean??

Is that any different than the normal oil sump with the intake tubes gong thru it??

I sent Larry V a note to ask if this will fit my std O-360 updraft carbed Lycoming, but I haven't heard back.

cold air sump

Caryr,

The difference is that in the traditional sump, the induction air helps cool the oil by having the air pass through the oil sump. This also warms the air and cost you a small amount of HP as now the air is thinner.

The cold air sump, be it Superior or ECI, is a bolt on "air box" that mounts below the oil sump and the induction air does not pass through the oil sump and thus stays cooler and in theory delivers more dense air to the engine and more HP.

Cold air sumps present some issues, mostly with room under the engine between the oil sump and the cowl. This mostly shows up when you install the exhaust system and does force you to use one type of pipes over the conventional pipes. For example, my ECI cold air sump dictates that I install Larry's 4 pipe system as opposed to a corssover system.

Other issues are my forward facing fuel injection throtle body. I had to build a snorkel and completely new air system. There is also cableing changes, cowl changes, etc. Thelist goes on.

Anyway, many have done it and Larry is your best source for solutions with the exhaust.

Looks like this. I did not know there was a difference in shape/area of the sump and it would cause interference with the standard exhaust. I had to reorder another set of pipes.

IMG_0124.JPG

IMG_0127.JPG

Vetterman Exhaust

Larry V knows all the engine/sump/intake configurations. I would suggest you work with him directly. I had no problem communicating with him at all.
He fabricated a (4) pipe system for my AeroSport IO-375 with cold air sump.....Perfect!! It's nice not having any major obstructions under the engine.
Unfortunately it will be some time before I hear any sound out of those four pipes.....

I gave Larry a call a couple of days ago to shoot the **** and for some info./ dates on his fly-in. Clint says, Miss Kathy and Larry are out of town till next week.
Thomas

Back