What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gas Cap Tool

SteveHRV7

What is everyone using to lift up the tab on Van's gas caps? I know there are some tools out there to lift the tab up without scratching the paint. Thanks!

A plastic bike tire 'iron'

I've seen some pretty cool plastic ones that look like a soda pop opener, but I couln't find one, so I got a plastic tire iron for removing tires from bike rims, and just sanded the tip narrower to fit the gas cap. its on the key chain. (that forces you to take the keys out of the ignition when you fuel up too, in case you are prone to forgetting that like some folks are)

I use an offset screwdriver. The flat head works well to lever open the fuel tanks and the phillips head works to open the camlocs on my oil door (or remove the cowling in a pinch).

My dads 4 has a white toothbrush handle velcroed in the cockpit. it has been cut and smoothed out around the edges. Been there since he bought the plane and works great.

I use my key to my 2000 Nissan truck. I will have to keep the truck as long as I have the RV.

You can modify the cap tabs by putting a larger radius where they work against the stainless plate with a scotchbrite wheel. I can open mine easily and they seal perfectly. I haven't touched the caps with a tool in over ten years.

You can modify the cap tabs by putting a larger radius where they work against the stainless plate with a scotchbrite wheel. I can open mine easily and they seal perfectly. I haven't touched the caps with a tool in over ten years.

And you will never break the hinge pin because the lever is properly adjusted to reduce strain and the "O" ring is lubed....;)

RocketBob: I'm trying to picture where you make the larger radius........ :eek:

exactly

My finger........ Properly maintained, you can open them with your finger.

I agree. In my experience with my RV, if the cap hinge lock gets so tight I need a tool to open it, it's time to clean around the o-ring and put some silicone spray on the o-ring. I just did this a couple days ago when it was suddenly too tight for fingers. I cleaned it up and now it's back to opening and closing easily with just fingers.

new o ring

i got new o -rings and the instructions on how to check the tightness of the o-ring suprised me on how loose they were, the important part seems to be the lubrication of the o-ring. what do people use for this? what is the true function of "fuel lube that i have seen in catalogs?

I keep popcicle sticks around.

they are perfect to open the gas cap.

And

Easy Turn on the O ring

i got new o -rings and the instructions on how to check the tightness of the o-ring suprised me on how loose they were, the important part seems to be the lubrication of the o-ring. what do people use for this? what is the true function of "fuel lube that i have seen in catalogs?

The o-ring must be able to expand and slide on the cones of the gas cap. A dry o-ring will cause a lot of drag and require a pry tool to flip up the lever.

Fuel lube will lubricate the 0-ring and not be washed off by the fuel. An application will last me about two years here in CA. Fuel lube does not work well in cold 30 and lower climates. Most spray lubricants will work ok but won't last as long.

Just remove the cap, work the lever to see how tight it is, then spray the o-ring and work the lever again....:eek: wow! easy. Now adjust cap nut so you can just flip up the lever with your finger. From then on, you will know when to lube the 0-ring.........;)

This is fuel lube... now called ..... http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/ezturnlube.php the tube will last a lifetime and still have plenty to give your friends.

I keep popcicle sticks around.

they are perfect to open the gas cap.

And

Easy Turn on the O ring

An easy solution that I have been using for a few years is to get a small thin uncut key and add it to my key ring. I use the uncut key to get underneath the fuel cap lever and can easily lift up the lever and open the fuel cap.
:)

Victor

Back