What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

winter Flying the 8 is Good

David-aviator

Well Known Member
Flew twice recently and have the cabin heat situation nailed down good.

The final task was to seal the cabin air at the NACA inlet. Even with the eye ball thingies closed they leak cold air. Thought about a plug of sorts at the inlet but could not figure a way to keep it in place, so just taped the inlet closed with duct tape. Will remove when it warms up. Cabin now stays toasty warm.

Also noticed pulling airplane from hangar was difficult, I was either getting weak or something else was amiss.

Something was amiss - tire pressure.

Cold air really causes air molecules to contract. Even with stop leak tubes, pressure was down to 20 psi both tires.

Inflated to 45, my long time favorite pressure, and all was much better. Airplane came out of hangar easy.

Landing is getting routine, fly it down to 1 inch AGL, relax back pressure a tiny bit and its there. Have not had an embarrassing bounce in a long time, knock on wood.:)

Last edited:
That is a good advice !

Hello David,

Thanks for sharing your solution for cold cockpit in winter time. I am currently building a RV-8 that I will operate in Quebec, Canada, likely during our cold winters. I've heard about the cold cockpit issue for RV-8 pax before. I've been wondering eventually how to solve it.

Based on your experience, once I get to building the wings, I will look into a way to plug the underwing NACA duct for the duration of winter. Do you think that installing a thin cover plate over the NACA duct, and screwed in place with nut plate could be a good solution ? When Spring time flying is back, just unscrew the cover plate to get fresh air in the back seat again ?

Martin

Hello David,

Thanks for sharing your solution for cold cockpit in winter time. I am currently building a RV-8 that I will operate in Quebec, Canada, likely during our cold winters. I've heard about the cold cockpit issue for RV-8 pax before. I've been wondering eventually how to solve it.

Based on your experience, once I get to building the wings, I will look into a way to plug the underwing NACA duct for the duration of winter. Do you think that installing a thin cover plate over the NACA duct, and screwed in place with nut plate could be a good solution ? When Spring time flying is back, just unscrew the cover plate to get fresh air in the back seat again ?

Martin

In instances I have wanted to temporarily plug a vent air NACA duct I have just cut a slightly over sized cyl shape of upholster foam and stuffed it into the tube part of the housing.

In instances I have wanted to temporarily plug a vent air NACA duct I have just cut a slightly over sized cyl shape of upholster foam and stuffed it into the tube part of the housing.

Black socks works well. They come in a pair just perfect for my two NACA scoops.

I like Winter flying myself. Cold clear dense air, neat looking snow-covered ground.

But this year I made it even more supremely convenient with the addition of Rieff heaters and a Switchbox.

The Reiff heater is a blessing, keep it pluggged in 24/7.

With regard to under wing plate nuts to attach NACA cover, sure that is good idea and will work.

24/7 ??

Today 08:48 AM
David-aviator The Reiff heater is a blessing, keep it pluggged in 24/7.

I would do some research on keeping that new pre-heater powered up 7 days a week , I understand it makes your crank case a sauna of sorts ! Since warm air holds so much more moisture , I sat threw a Engine maintenance seminar this past summer put on by continental motors and this topic was covered, don't do it !!

Today 08:48 AM
David-aviator The Reiff heater is a blessing, keep it pluggged in 24/7.

I would do some research on keeping that new pre-heater powered up 7 days a week , I understand it makes your crank case a sauna of sorts ! Since warm air holds so much more moisture , I sat threw a Engine maintenance seminar this past summer put on by continental motors and this topic was covered, don't do it !!

Yes, I suppose it would be like summertime in Florida.
I don't think there is enough time for corrosion to set in between flights and do not loose sleep over it.

The only difficulty with Winter flying is that it's sometimes hard to get the oil temps up over 180 - even with a Winter oil cooler baffle plate and vernatherm. 140 is no problem.

OAT 18F Engine Temp Mighty Cool

The only difficulty with Winter flying is that it's sometimes hard to get the oil temps up over 180 - even with a Winter oil cooler baffle plate and vernatherm. 140 is no problem.

Yesterday the OAT at 2500' was 18F and CHT maxed at about 290 and OT just in the 120's. Not good I know.

Oil cooler is 100% blocked so issue is air flow through engine compartment. If one were going to fly a lot at these cold temps, which I am not, we'd have to find a way to block air flow through engine compartment. Could close exit or inlet somehow, that would cure it.

It is a credit though to engine set up when you consider it operates ok at temps from below 20 to 100F. Oil temp of 120 is ok for a while but it needs to get up to 180 once in a while.

I have found over the years, OT is related to CHT. If CHT could be raised OT will follow.

Cabin was comfortable, but would venture back seat was not.

Yesterday the OAT at 2500' was 18F and CHT maxed at about 290 and OT just in the 120's. Not good I know.

Oil cooler is 100% blocked so issue is air flow through engine compartment. If one were going to fly a lot at these cold temps, which I am not, we'd have to find a way to block air flow through engine compartment. Could close exit or inlet somehow, that would cure it.

It is a credit though to engine set up when you consider it operates ok at temps from below 20 to 100F. Oil temp of 120 is ok for a while but it needs to get up to 180 once in a while.

I have found over the years, OT is related to CHT. If CHT could be raised OT will follow.

Cabin was comfortable, but would venture back seat was not.

David, I remember that some (Vlad) blocked both sides of the oil cooler to ensure no air could touch it. Do you do that?

Aside from all the temp problems, you have to admit that thick, clear, and smooth air make for some really fun flying!

Went out last weekend with a temp of about 30, clear, no wind, light on fuel (stay close to the airport), alone and on a diet, removed everything from inside, and just washed and waxed! Motor making lots of HP and the wings making lots of lift. Put the biggest RV grin on my face in awhile. Un-real climbs, great turns (and fun stuff) and could hit VNE without even trying! Fun Fun Fun!

Back