Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2017, 01:23 PM

Respectfully, that's muddying the water. B&C doesn't make an internally regulated alternator; the subject of this discussion.

I submit that the lower drawing on pg31 of the pdf is basically a simplified 'cartoon version' of the schematic posted earlier. Both show the field getting its power from the alternator itself. I just thought it might be simpler to interpret for those not accustomed to reading schematics.

And I question whether being able to control a properly functioning alternator with the IG terminal gives a definitive answer on whether it can be controlled after any/all failure modes of its (internal) regulator.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv7charlie View Post
Respectfully, that's muddying the water. B&C doesn't make an internally regulated alternator; the subject of this discussion.
Not to insert myself into this fun little back-and-forth too deeply - but this thread is fundamentally NOT about internally regulated alternators. It's about the requirement for overvoltage protection with Earth-X batteries - by any suitable method.

It devolved into some deep alternator and regulator voodoo, but that's not the point of this thread.
Built an off-plan 9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguy View Post
Not to insert myself into this fun little back-and-forth too deeply - but this thread is fundamentally NOT about internally regulated alternators. It's about the requirement for overvoltage protection with Earth-X batteries - by any suitable method.

It devolved into some deep alternator and regulator voodoo, but that's not the point of this thread.
I agree, I'm moving my posts back to the other thread: http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...light=charging

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 418.1 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi.htm

Old 11-22-2017, 09:33 AM

Previously I wrote:

Quote:
The ND alternators Ross, Blain, and Mickey have checked apparently do not have an internal stator-to-field connection. It appears the only source of field current is via the IG terminal. An OV device installed in the IG lead will shut them down if the regulator goes nuts for any reason.
I've since been doing some research, gathering information about ND units, and dismantling a spare Plane Power alternator. Right now I have a question in with the ND tech line, and learning continues.

At this time I'm pretty sure the above statement is wrong.

I do not yet have a schematic for the ND regulator's IC chip. However, after looking at the TDS for a few voltage regulator IC chips in the open marketplace, it seems likely that the Denso regulator's electronics are actually powered full-time (at very low current) via a tap to the B terminal's rectifier bridge, and the IG terminal is fundamentally an ON-OFF switch for the IC, not a field power supply. More research to come; God is in the details. For sure the typical ND has a very direct stator-to-field connection, with the regulator on the ground side of the field.

Greg is right; this thread was about a requirement for OV protection with an EarthX, not alternator control. Future posts regarding alternator control will go to the other thread.

Last edited by DanH : 11-22-2017 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:42 AM

Dan,

How about inserting a link to the other thread in your post? Would make it easier for new arrivals to find it.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:52 AM
hall monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv7charlie View Post
Dan,

How about inserting a link to the other thread in your post? Would make it easier for new arrivals to find it.
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=154377