What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT 8.4" or 10.5"

lr172

Well Known Member
Thanks to those who posted on my other thread about EFIS screen size.

I have decided to move in the GRT direction. My current plan is to purchase the new 8.4" HXr to be used as a single screen (will likely us 60/40 PFD & Map w/engine on bottom in most cases). I may add a 6.5" HS or HX someday to be installed in front of the co-pilot.

I can fit the 8.4" without too much difficulty. With more panel surgery, I could fit the 10.5" model. However, in addition to all panel work, I'll have to get rid of 2 of my 3 backup instruments (AS, ALT, ADI). This would force me into a Mini-B or D6 for backup at more additional cost.

I currently use the 7" D100 and have no issues reading or using this, but I don't know how font size will compare with the GRT 8.4".

I am hoping that someone with experience using the GRT 8.4" HX can tell me how readable this is when used in the 60/40 + engine strip configuration. I am guessing the HXr font size will be very similar to the HX version.

Thanks for your assistance.

Larry

I had my panel fully cut for the 8.4" GRTs and ready for avionics when GRT offered the 10"+ screens. As much as I liked the bigger screens, I wanted to FLY and wasn't ready to start a 2nd panel all over again. After 4 years of flying, I am fully satisfied with the 8.4" displays and especially the GRT system(s). Would not trade them for the world at this point.
My only change would be to mount display #2 closer to, or adjacent to, the display #1 (pilot side). My display #2 is directly in front of the passenger seat; because of the angle and under certain lighting conditions, it's hard to see from the pilot side.

Excellent EFIS

Larry, I've had a GRT Sport SX 6.5" in my RV-7 for 3 years now and have been very pleased. Even with the smaller screen Sport SX I have incredible, easy to read, solid instrumentation. The larger 8.4 screen will be awesome in your RV.
Neal

I have dual 6.5 HX with dual adaptive AHRS. Love my GRT's. One advantage to adding an HX to your 8.5 would be the virtually unlimited supply of high speed serial ports. I have 16 available and don't use them all with certified GPS, backup GPS, dual AHRS, ADS-B and VGSV autopilot. I use two of the ARINC 429 ports.

If you fly near Class B airspace you will love the altitude sensitive color coding of that airspace!

Only disadvantage to the smaller 6.5 is that the enroute and sectional charts are small. Approach plates on the screens are just fine. Your 8.5 will be just great.

Your initial question was about using the 8.4" screen in a 60/40 split format-----and I can not address that as I have dual 8.4" HXs------and dont use a split screen when flying.

I have played around with the split screen mode on the ground, and have demonstrated it for a lot of other pilots, and it has never seemed to be too small in that mode.

Hope this helps........

And, as for dual screen usage----------Just WOW:D

I had my panel fully cut for the 8.4" GRTs and ready for avionics when GRT offered the 10"+ screens. As much as I liked the bigger screens, I wanted to FLY and wasn't ready to start a 2nd panel all over again. After 4 years of flying, I am fully satisfied with the 8.4" displays and especially the GRT system(s). Would not trade them for the world at this point.
My only change would be to mount display #2 closer to, or adjacent to, the display #1 (pilot side). My display #2 is directly in front of the passenger seat; because of the angle and under certain lighting conditions, it's hard to see from the pilot side.

I am guessing from your description that you routinely fly using just the one 8.4 screen. Do you use the combo PFD/MAP screen? Any troubles with reading the text or numbers?

Larry

Your initial question was about using the 8.4" screen in a 60/40 split format-----and I can not address that as I have dual 8.4" HXs------and dont use a split screen when flying.

I have played around with the split screen mode on the ground, and have demonstrated it for a lot of other pilots, and it has never seemed to be too small in that mode.

Hope this helps........

And, as for dual screen usage----------Just WOW:D

Thanks Mike. I wish I had the space for two screens in the pilots view.

I think you 're missing an important point - the difference between resolution and screen size. As the pixels get smaller and smaller, the resolution gets better ("sharper lettering"), until the pixels get so small that your eyes can no longer resolve them.
The HXr has more pixels than the HX of the same screen size - so if the HX is okay, the HXr will be even better. They are not exactly directly comparable.
To answer your original question: I have the 6" HX. Same number of pixels as the 8", but crammed into a smaller format. I usually put the engine instruments on a second display; but, with instruments across the bottom, HSI on the right, PFD on the left side, it is useable. I would say the PFD is crowded and 'busy' but useable. I think an 8" HXr should be fine.

You didn't define your mission or budget. I have two 8.4s and have never had any issues with reading or crowded screens. Also, some of you don't agree with this but no round anything! Note: both are supplied from a different power bus and I have two batteries and two alternators etc. I have simulated failures and transferred all functions to just one 8.4 on the fly without any issues and again, no reading problems. All this with corrected 60 year old eyes!

I like going to Stein's site and looking at all the panels they have assembled, for ideas. Fun stuff!

I really don't think you can go wrong with a single 8.4. If you go with the 10, will be very limited later if you do decide to go with two. Again, I personally like the idea of transferring everything to one screen even I have never suffered a real failure. Comfort in redundancy.

Last edited:
I have been flying GRT split screen for three years now, sans engine data. First two years on a 6.5" SX, just not quite big enough. Moved up to 8.4" SX and split screen is much better, no desire to go bigger. I am however looking to go to a second screen, for both IFR redundancy and ease of use: I find myself not using the split screen so much in cruise, switching back and forth between pure PFD and MAP. I have an engine monitor to install as well, so I anticipate running around with PFD on one, MAP on the other, engine bar on one of the two, not sure which one yet.

If the choice comes to keeping the backup steam gauges vs a bigger screen, I would certainly go with keeping the back up gauges. Its been 8 years since I finished and flying behind GRT and the simplicity and lack of a need for power for steam gauges for a back up is very important to me and I yet have a need for them since GRT has been so solid.

I am guessing from your description that you routinely fly using just the one 8.4 screen. Do you use the combo PFD/MAP screen? Any troubles with reading the text or numbers?

Larry

I always have both displays on: Pilot's side - PFD with engine info along bottom; Pass. side - GPS/moving map.
I rarely use the split screen with PFD and map, but when I do it's near an unfamiliar destination where I want the map info right in front of me. Not more than 5 or 10% of my flying time is in split screen mode; but when I do it seems just fine. No issues.

Back