What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 outside vis

2Beez

I'm New Here
I am thinking about building an RV and was speaking with a friend today that has flown an RV-6. He was telling me that the outside visibility might be disappointing due to the seats being set low in cockpit. I would appreciate feedback on this as I have yet to take the steps to get into one myself. My neighbor is building a -14 and this does not appear to be an issue in that airplane.

Compared to what?

Honestly I have not been in any other airplane that had MORE visibility than the Van's line does.

If your a sky diver maybe?

The -6, 7, and 9 are essentially the same.

I was stunned stunned at stunned at how good the visibility was the first time I road in one.

Granted you can't look straight down but you you are pretty close to that in an RV.

And welcome to the VAF!

Robert, I'll pile on.
The RV-7's visibility is fantastic, particularly if you build or buy one with a tip-up canopy. My 2000+ hours of USAF flight time was in the pit of F-4 Phantoms. When you open Webster's to look up "crappy visibility", it says "see F-4 Phantom". In as much as just about anything will have better visibility than the F-4 (particularly the F-4G), I was blown away on my Van's factory ride with Joe Blank in their RV-7A with tip-up. Zero canopy bow, fantastic view out the sides and below (forward and aft of the wing).

Here's my landing from last weekend. You can see I sit pretty high in the saddle:
FP04102016A0001B.jpg

Today, I fly aerobatics and formation flights all the time. The vis as spectactular.

Last edited:
I am thinking about building an RV and was speaking with a friend today that has flown an RV-6. He was telling me that the outside visibility might be disappointing due to the seats being set low in cockpit. I would appreciate feedback on this as I have yet to take the steps to get into one myself. My neighbor is building a -14 and this does not appear to be an issue in that airplane.

The other posts are right on.

Please accept a little speculation about why your friend might have made the comment. In order to adjust the seat height, one must use boosters under the seat pad. If he was a passenger, maybe that did not happen. If you dont get your eye level high enough to see the top of the cowl, one might get the impression of limited forward visibility.

Last edited:
If your used to flying a high wing, you might miss that straight down visibility but other than that, it is great! I wedged my seats up as high as possible and still be comfortable with the canopy clearance. Sitting up straight I can actually see over the nose fairly good in my tail dragger 7 while on the ground and tail down.

Thank you guys. My buddy said he wife( who was a passenger couldnt see out) so that does suggest the seat adjustment. I appreciate the feedback.

After several trips with the wife, she complained about not being able to see over the panel. I had no idea she was having this issue, didn't tell me sooner, so I installed a 4 inch pad under her seat and not she can see as well as I can. Wants to go flying more often. I should have known it sooner.

After several trips with the wife, she complained about not being able to see over the panel. I had no idea she was having this issue, didn't tell me sooner, so I installed a 4 inch pad under her seat and not she can see as well as I can. Wants to go flying more often. I should have known it sooner.

Same here. Kelli wanted to sit higher and see over the nose. She doesn't fly, so with the removable stick removed, I threw a DEEP 4-inch booster cushion in place, one long enough to cushion her legs over the spar box. She loves it, and sits as high or higher than me.

I do believe the canopy rail is lower on the -14 (down by your arm) allowing much better visibility.

Back