What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AFP Pump install questions, pictures (7A) ?

Rick_A

Well Known Member
I'm converting my 7A to fuel injection and I'm looking for ideas on how best to install the AFP fuel pump/filter.

This is a retro fit, so I'm working around existing brake lines and a large wire bundle that are already installed in the center floor between the fuel valve and firewall. The pump & filter came with some large adel clamps to be used for mounting.

What is the Van's method for mounting the AFP pump/filter in the current 7/9 plans? I see that Van's sells a AFP pump installation kit, but I already have the pump and filter, so what else does Vans include in the mounting kit?

Also, I don't know whether I should try mounting the pump and filter directly to the fuselage or whether I should fabricate some sort of mounting bracket. I was even thinking of reinforcing the center cover and mounting on top to the existing cover and then making a dog house to cover the pump.

Your thoughts, ideas and pictures would be welcome.

Thanks

Rick, I don't have any pictures handy (pre-digital...), but I mounted my AFP pump on the forward side of the spar, just to the left of the selector valve. This was the original, more compact version of the pump and spaghetti fuel lines. I'll try to grab a picture next time I'm out, or I'll scan one of the pictures in my book.

Mounting kit

The mounting kit comes with the parts to install and the dog house. It replaces a section of the tunnel. The pump mounts to it then the dog house fits over the top.
The metal is easy. The fuel lines are the tricky part.
Several photos in my blog, Finishing page.

Call TS Flightlines or Aircraft Specialty

As Larry stated, the fuel lines are the difficult part. Van's will sell you the install kit without the pump and filter. That's what I did on our project when converting to FI.

I would recommend a call to Tom at TS Flightlines or Steve at Aircraft Specialty . They are business partners, have great products and incredible customer service. You may need some modifications to the "standard" installation kit if you have to change the location of any components. Highly recommended.

Last edited:
Larry, good pictures there in your blog. Thanks.

It never occurred to me to mount the pump and filter side-by-side. The only way I thought to do it is in-line. Fuel lines are a bit more involved side-by-side but certainly worth considering.

Your pictures also show that mounting the pump and filter on top of the center cover is the way Vans has you do it.

Rick, yep they are involved. We're on revision 6 I think on the AFP install. Very minor changes since we first prototype'd them. Big thing was the drops and bend angle of the valve to filter tube, and hoe it all fits with both our wing tubes, AND customer made tubes. It can be done with hand benders and flaring tools, but eat lunch first!

Tom

Here are a couple poor shots of my installation with lines from Tom, which made it super easy.

w8f9T30h.jpg

HZ2mD3Ah.jpg

Last edited:
picture as promised

Here is some ancient history ca 1999. I've since replaced the selector valve with an Andair (essentially a drop-in w/r to plumbing).

U3xSyEXCX8IfwgdqEH8In5HhuVULKRk3jme9gH0My1Qxpwl5blNK0BhxCf2vVIBHDCxIIQmUvC2HdYUAPSmqQXtSZ6aNuHU7JOItHl1H0-jj-u-4lXbPRhs9-URQNosTt2ADM4sD8JODZV8Y-Ej1yH-i4bIAdNyemoWteUmlHxuJP_YaO2My-TTsyo1xOrwGubeQj1OECE6DtVESR5U0IA5S7kh2XCuqf0vWM8lNDCYDL6wtCG8ksAsgLHWqwVTtnE3JLVD3_8wv_INcRo5qA8f1MA7rRnWBi_0-ssgqhhcPSM27eDNVhYC5CnpaCoXvTx605YbZKWwmEQ52YTyrlS6R-IJskbgbNI8dGGjij3o-ifoRRf5PQlQQfjT5yZ63pl0M_lYGRgzsJr9Thse4DXwqV5zBvnPhgOvSp0OpGwdum12oHyZFtmzmxrEMJpwjeNkP6ggIa7FiOnpg3W5P0GxhXhQXKZpQeM9L_V-v4EGrJIeqjUV87xD1bA8VH3JMquxCHISVNeUNV1DluKO-FwZi_uFItO3mpNkO6rBItMb583x5F7xDZkCKHmOKKsiURExaXvd-VfjKJeNbK9Hm7l0zXGVk_Iy-6IEjlAPwCRSIcXV7ykK1kM8v3kyUj__h7ZZ4hjl5-nomQJlRTLjKvxX-h0gehhfzXmmFpdomV3NYAhvHO92jf--v3nl7g-WJ6ldMjHEMMKwe5vz_NDE=w680-no

And for a little more pain, you can install two of them in parallel to give a backup option. This was my 3rd or 4th iteration of the baseplate, the plumbing was all done by hand (by me) and I think I went through 30 feet of tubing to get to this point. It served well for over 300 flight hours though, then one of the pumps died and I replaced this whole mess with the SDS dual pump module. I run dual pumps because I don't use an engine-driven pump - these are my primaries, not my backup or boost.

With the options available on the market today, I would NOT recommend doing what I did.

oPo.jpg

Vans AFP Install Kit - what's in it?

So I've decided to make it simple and go with the Van's dog house mount method. I called the Mothership but they said they would have to do some
research to provide me the part numbers I need to order. (I know they sell the complete set-up but I already have the Pump and Filter).

I was able to find most of the part numbers reading Larry's blog but I still have a few questions.

1. Do you use the stock F-782C cabin cover and cut off the part that goes under Dog House?
2. Is F-7115A the part number for new aft section of the cabin cover where the pump is mounted, if not what is that P/N?
3. What is the Plans page name or number for building the Dog House / pump mount?

The Part numbers have have so far are:
F-7115A Bottom Cover
F-7115B R&L Side covers
F-7115C Top Cover

Am I missing anything else?

1. Do you use the stock F-782C cabin cover and cut off the part that goes under Dog House? - yes

2. Is F-7115A the part number for new aft section of the cabin cover where the pump is mounted, if not what is that P/N? - yes thats the correct p/n

3. What is the Plans page name or number for building the Dog House / pump mount? - dwg OP-21

I got the digital copy of the plans from vans which is really nice to have, there is a folder with all of the option drawings on it. I can send you a copy of OP-21 via email to save you time, PM me your email address

1. Do you use the stock F-782C cabin cover and cut off the part that goes under Dog House? - yes

2. Is F-7115A the part number for new aft section of the cabin cover where the pump is mounted, if not what is that P/N? - yes thats the correct p/n

3. What is the Plans page name or number for building the Dog House / pump mount? - dwg OP-21

I got the digital copy of the plans from vans which is really nice to have, there is a folder with all of the option drawings on it. I can send you a copy of OP-21 via email to save you time, PM me your email address

Thanks for the info. PM sent

Back