What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 430 Test Set

RhinoDrvr

Well Known Member
Hey all,

So my Comm receiver in my 2000 vintage GNS-430 has stopped working. I?ve checked the commendations at the back of the tray, as well as under the floor to the antenna. I?m getting to the conclusion that it is the box itself. Couple questions.

1. Is there a test set that could me for sure that the GNS is bad before I eat the $1000 flat rate repair to find that the box was fine?

2. If I opt to upgrade the box to WAAS would the Comm repair be covered in the cost of the conversion or is that completely separate?

Kind of stuck between a rock and a hard spot. With ADS-B coming up, I?m wondering if it may be time to simply start a panel upgrade instead of pouring money into an outdated box that might lose support in the lifetime of the upgraded unit.

I heard they won’t do a flat rate repair on a non-WAAS unit anymore. The WAAS upgrade does cover a flat rate repair as well. Just make sure you list any problems with the unit for the upgrade so they will make sure to fix it.

One last suggestion before you condem the box is to find someone else with a 430 and slide it in to the tray to make sure you don;’t have an airframe problem. 430’s are everywhere, and it shouldnt’ be hard to find one. I am pretty sure there is no difference in Comm wiring between a 430 and a 430W.

Back