What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternator belt installation and conflict with the oil line

tgmillso

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Hi All,

Whilst you lads have been busy munching turkey, I've finally begun bolting some fruit onto this engine of mine. I have an IO-360M1B from Van's with the standard issue Plane Power 60A alternator. Today I installed the Hartzell BA propeller, and even quietly congratulated myself for remembering to place the alternator belt over the crank before I began the installation. Once the prop was on I then tried to install the alternator belt on the pulley, but with the alternator pivoted to the slack position (all the way up) the alternator butts up against the oil line for the propeller before there is enough allowance to get the belt on. I thought maybe I could remove the large pivot bolt from the alternator so I could get the belt into position, however it looks like this will conflict with the starter ring gear on its way out.
I'm getting the feeling that I'm going to have to take this propeller off, install the belt on the ring gear and alternator pulley, then re-install the propeller. Is there something blindingly obvious that I am missing, or is this alternator belt installation really this nuts?
Tom.
RV-7

A lot depends on which pulley you have on the alernator, which alternator bracket you have, and which belt size you have. There is enough variation between different brand alternators that it is hard to say which belt you need. I generally have to buy a couple of different belts, in incremental sizes, and use the one that best fits and can still be tensioned. And yes - if you have to try a different belt, the prop has to come off......so test fit BEFORE putting the prop (back) on.

Thanks Paul. After everything I've been through on this build, it just didn't feel right only doing something once anyway.
Cheers,
Tom.

having done this a few times, it sometimes has been necessary to crowd the line with the alternator. pushing the oil line some, put the belt on the alt first, then roll the belt onto the flywheel while turning the prop. It might be necessary to bend the line a little for clearance but after the belt is on and adjusted you might be just fine. you don't really need much space as they are both stationary? worth a try before removing the prop?

Thanks guys. I've only got the prop snugged up but not torqued or safety wired so it shouldn't be too much of a beef to get it off given that I have it slung on the engine hoist and can do it solo. That said I do love the idea of the split belt and will keep this solution in mind should I get stuck anywhere and need a new belt to get me home. To me the makes so much more sense than leaving a spare belt hung over over the engine where it is just going to deteriorate or rub on the engine.
T.

Back