What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Perplexed by my fuel tank residue. Any thoughts?

Background.
I purchased my RV-8 from the builder (who lost his medical and since has passed) 2 years ago. He ran 100LL in the left tank and auto gas in the right tank. I was told ethanol free but can?t confirm. I have used 100LL in both tanks since purchase. Prior to my purchase it did not fly for 5 years; however, was run regularly. I have put almost 200 hours on in two years with the biggest issue being I have needed to replace the right tank drain valve every few months as it gunks up. I assumed it was varnish from the auto gas. Nothing in the fuel strainer, no hiccups, no engine issues.

Now.
I pulled the right tank to install a flop tube and repair a seeping rivet before painting. When I got the tank off and open, there was clearly ?varnish? at and below the level where the fuel sat for 5 years I tried to remove the ?varnish? with acetone and MEK. Neither touched it. I tried a plastic scraper, no way. So I decided to wash the tank out with water before drilling/hole sawing my access holes in the back and to my surprise, water washed the gunk out. After over 2 hours of rinsing, the water is completely clear and the residue is completely gone from the aluminum. It looks great inside. I do think I am going to reseal the whole tank though.

Question,
What the heck is the gunk that developed from the fuel sitting for 5 years and why is it water soluble? It makes no sense to me.

Question,
What the heck is the gunk that developed from the fuel sitting for 5 years and why is it water soluble? It makes no sense to me.

Strictly a guess here, but I suspect that in the five years the original fuel evaporated, and enough condensation happened for it to be a part of wherever your gunk came from. Or, maybe not all the fuel evaporated but still there was enough condensation to cause water in the tank.

No idea what the gunk would be, but the above scenario would explain why it was water soluble.

Ugg! That doesnt sound like lots of fun. But, you will be happy when you are done!

I had a friend who tried to get the slosh out of his tanks. He ended up rebuilding them after many hours of bad words and cut arms!

Hubcabs

I heard Vans has hubcabs for the RV3 or RV4 wheels which can be used as cover plates for the holes. If you are doing 5 inspection holes in the aft plate, these will end up giving you extra tank capacity when you are all done. Just a thought.

1 gal per

Just curious: How much extra?

From the pictures I have seen of this being done, I figure 1 gallon extra per side if 5 are used.

The other benefit is that the hub caps are dished, so are stronger around the flange area, so the flange should seal better and may be less prone to flexing/leaking. But when using proseal, this may not be a concern since I have not heard of tanks leaking anyway due to flexing. JMHO.

I know it works on the RV9, but not sure if the tank brackets are the same depth on the 8.

Back