- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-18-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyman View Post
Crabandy,
Boy she is growing up so fast.
Great times.
Daddyman
I pretty sure we parked next to each other at OSH 2015 when I brought Hope for the first time.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:40 PM

Our early departure flight the next morning was delayed due to some rain showers and low ceilings, We hoisted our backpacks (backpacks are way easier to carry than suitcases) and jumped on the Metro to go see the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception.
While switching from the orange line to the red line at Metro Center the morning rush was in full swing. Hope stepped just inside the doors on the red line and the subway doors pinched shut on her backpack..............We got her pulled free and at least I had a good chuckle.

The Basilica is the 10th largest church in the world, it was truly massive with a full basement (crypt church) and upstairs.

There are over 80 separate chapels dedicated/designed to various locals and peoples all over the world. The tour person wasn't available today so we did the audio tour, Just a few pics of the many mosaics and artwork.

Check out the pipes on that organ!

Last edited by crabandy : 10-18-2018 at 07:47 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:10 PM

After the Basilica tour the clouds and rain started to clear and we Metro/taxied our way back to W00. I filed W00..Churk..KTGI and 030 for lateral and vertical clearance of the restricted areas. We were looking forward to fresh crab for lunch...

I really liked having a direct phone number (in the AFD) to Potomac Apch for clearance delivery and cancellation, I was cleared via "Enter Controlled Airspace Heading 130, then as filed" followed by a release void in 8 minutes. Shortly after takeoff I was re-routed west of the restricted areas, no big deal after I asked for the phonetic spelling. SteinAir is apparently a big deal on the east coast too as he has his own intersection.....

We weren't on course more than 10 minutes when we received vectors for more direct routing which just happened to be right along the north side of Pax River Naval Base.

Definitely "feet wet" over the Chesapeake Bay.

Lunch....I mean Tangier Island in sight, wind was 20ish you can see in the waves.

After a short walk from the airport we arrived at Lorainne's. We shared a crab cake on a bun and a soft shell crab sandwich each with a bowl of crab soup, as good as the sandwiches were I think the soup beats them both.

We loved the sidewalk/golf cart path to the airport, almost easier to grab lunch at Tangier than to get a courtesy car and lunch on the mainland.

Last edited by crabandy : 10-18-2018 at 11:18 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:11 AM

Great Pics Andy! Thanks for taking us along for the ride!!

Amateur Plane - RV-9A N789PH - 2050+ Hrs
Amateur Radio - KD0CVN
Doggies Delivered - 25+
St. Paul, MN
Old 10-19-2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehowell View Post
Great Pics Andy! Thanks for taking us along for the ride!!
Anytime Pete, I really enjoy people taking me along on all their trips and just my way of giving a little back.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:27 AM

Hey Andy,
Thanks for the ride.
My youngest (a little older than your oldest @ 29) and I will be arriving DC tomorrow. Looking forward to some of the same sights and a Cowboy's game before returning Monday.
Catto three blade prop
http://www.mykitlog.com/MarkW
Old 10-19-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
Hey Andy,
Thanks for the ride.
My youngest (a little older than your oldest @ 29) and I will be arriving DC tomorrow. Looking forward to some of the same sights and a Cowboy's game before returning Monday.
Enjoy the trip Mark! I believe it was your thread earlier that made me aware of the W00 airport.
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=164710
Old 10-21-2018, 09:57 PM

It was still breezy when we took of from Tangier, definitely a good time to stay low and out of the 45 knts on the nose and the Restricted Areas....

Defenitely feeling "feet wet," but after building, maintaining and flying this thing for a couple years its a confident "feet wet" feeling.

We stayed low and VFR all the way to KMTV for fuel and a potty stop.

We filed IFR due to the clouds and higher mountainous terrain, we bounced around in the clouds most of the time but still were rewarded with awesome views of the Appalachians during the 2 hour flight. I'm sure you guys in the southeast take it for granted but to us the views were pretty magical.

I honestly couldn't spot our destination runway until we were on top of it, a right downwind worked well as M McGraw suggested. Look for the runway behind the airplane, being a flatlander I was a little intimidated with the slope but no obstacles and landing uphill on the smooth grass made it easy.

Another pic of the runway without the airplane in the way, the "backyard" is the perfect description.

Thanks again M MCGRAW and Sandy, your hospitality was the BEST! My wife still can't believe the friendships and comradery formed on VAF.

Last edited by crabandy : 10-21-2018 at 10:09 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:39 PM

I've been a waterski/watersports junkie for about 13 years before I discovered airplanes, since we were so close I just had to take a tour. We were greeted by this fiberglass shell being cleaned before inspections and further assembly at the start of our tour. For whatever reason I think Hope enjoyed the tour more than myself.

We walked into the Mastercraft Plant and were greeted with bright green molds.

This basic hull mold is hand masked for the various gel coat colors sprayed into the mold.

They have a CNC type machine to cut the various cloth for the boats.

They spray a epoxy/glass chop first.

Then they fill the voids with filler.

Then they use the CNC cut glass to finish the hulls.

Last edited by crabandy : 10-22-2018 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:25 AM

Foam ribs glassed into the floor bottom.

The stringer mold is pressed into the hull by the steel beam, they fill the fiberglass stringers with foam and glue it to the hull with a weld-on product.

A good view of the finished stringers as a worker is installing a ballast tank.

When a hull is complete they pop it out of the mold and install a drill jig to drill all the necessary holes. You can see the various drill jigs stacked against the wall for the different hulls.

The interior and topside pieces were made with male and female molds squeezed together, apparently they partnered with Cirrus Aircraft on these molds and processes.