What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brake system question - pedal mounted reservoir

Scott_F

I've about decided I'd like to go with the pedal mounted reservoirs for the brakes on my RV-7. I have the dual brake (pilot/co-pilot) set up and my question is - do I need a reservoir for each pedal master cylinder (4 total), or can I get by with one per side (left brake, right brake - two total). The Grove pedal mounted reservoirs on ACS each hold 1.1 oz. of fluid. Seems it would be easy to put a reservoir on each of the co-pilot pedals and plumb the rest of the system per the plans. If four reservoirs are required, I would have to "T" the two sides together somewhere and not sure the best way to do that.

Two other (maybe silly) questions:
- I'm assuming fuel lube or EZ turn is appropriate for all the threaded connecitons (i.e. no teflon tape)?
- If both pilot and co-pilot are pressing on the brakes, is the pressure at the brake cylinder the sum of the two, some fraction of the sum, or just the pedal closest to the brake?

Thanks,

Scott-- you 'can' put 2 reservoirs on the copilots side and plumb the rest per plans. Filling, bleeding and cleaning the probable mess will require a contortionist.

Tom

My buddy's -8 has them on the pedals, and he hates them. As others noted, a royal PITA to service.

My -7A has the reservoir in the stock location (and I got one of the clear jobbies from somewhere, so it's easy to inspect). Wouldn't do it any other way. Simple, easy to maintain, and it works.

Hmm.. I also have mounted the pedal mounted Reservoirs (RV-() but I am not yet finished with the plane. I assumed it should be quite easy to service them if I take out the baggage shelf? Is it still such a pain to do? I a lucky enough that i still have the ability to change...

Hmm.. I also have mounted the pedal mounted Reservoirs (RV-() but I am not yet finished with the plane. I assumed it should be quite easy to service them if I take out the baggage shelf? Is it still such a pain to do? I a lucky enough that i still have the ability to change...

Taking the forward shelf out is the only way to service these reservoirs. Keep in mind that taking the shelf out is not as easy as it seems now while building.

Carl

I?m currently flying a friend?s RV-8 that has pedal mounted reservoirs. All the other RVs I?ve had use the stock single reservoir on the firewall.

While they work just like the firewall mounted reservoir, they are a royal pain to service. I would never put these in any RV.

For pipe thread connections, I use this or similar products: https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-4836...531916829&sr=8-4&keywords=pipe+thread+sealant

Carl

Hmmmm. I must be doing it wrong then. I have pedal mounted reservoirs on all four of our airplanes, and never have to do anything at the reservoirs. I have the sintered bras caps to allow air in and out, and pump brake fluid up from teh bottom. Air exits through the sintered caps. Never end up with any spilled fluid, never have to crawl down to the reservoirs - easy.

Like I said, I must be doing it wrong....on four airplanes....for fifteen years or so.... :rolleyes:

Hmmmm. I must be doing it wrong then. I have pedal mounted reservoirs on all four of our airplanes, and never have to do anything at the reservoirs. I have the sintered bras caps to allow air in and out, and pump brake fluid up from teh bottom. Air exits through the sintered caps. Never end up with any spilled fluid, never have to crawl down to the reservoirs - easy.

Like I said, I must be doing it wrong....on four airplanes....for fifteen years or so.... :rolleyes:

This exactly. I had them in my -8, loved them, and never had the least difficulty in living with them. I'm absolutely going to put them on the -14A and wouldn't consider any other solution.

What's the advantage of putting in two reservoirs on the cylinders, instead of one reservoir on the firewall?

Maybe I just don't understand the big win here...

I have pedal mounted reservoirs, and like them. They are very easy to check and service. I have a -10, which may have more room and easier access to the footwell than other models. ? I prefer the pedal mounted reservoirs because it eliminates a couple of hoses and connections. Nice and simple.

Hmmmm. I must be doing it wrong then. I have pedal mounted reservoirs on all four of our airplanes, and never have to do anything at the reservoirs. I have the sintered bras caps to allow air in and out, and pump brake fluid up from teh bottom. Air exits through the sintered caps. Never end up with any spilled fluid, never have to crawl down to the reservoirs - easy.:

Paul -it was your description of this method on another thread that swayed me to go this way.... and this: https://youtu.be/bZlq87VXybU

Thanks for the help.

Okay, I'll ask the question:

How do you check fluid level without crawling down there to peek in?

I've got the brake-mounted ones on my Cessna, and it's a real pain. And there are large doors near there, too, to make it easier.

Dave

I only find it necessary to check fluid levels once a year, at time of CI. You should be down there anyway lubing up rudder pedal and brake hinge points, checking rudder cable, weldment, etc..... I use a short length of clear tubing, stick it in and put a finger over the top of the tube. I pull the tube up just far enough to gauge the level of fluid, then let it go back into the reservoir.
I take issue with the EAA video. If you fill the reservoir, pedal mounted or FWF, it will overflow a small amount for quite some time. Sticky mess. That mess just drips down the firewall, but obviously it drips on your interior if your pedal mounted.
I fill only 1/2-2/3 full. That allows for expansion.

Six of one..... add this to the never ending debate. I have both types of systems and can't say either is better or worse, just different. The FW mounted reservoir with Vans plastic lines does allow you to see if the resevior has run out. You will see a bubble in the incoming line before it affects your brakes.

Last edited:
On the Cessna,

They were a pain --- to check fluid levels, to top off, everything bad. Cannot imagine how I could do it on my RVs.

Ron

I have the individual reservoirs on my RV8, had them on the last RV8 also, and they are very easy to service/check with the baggage floor removed as others have said. You can service through the 1/8 vented pipe plug, or just unscrew the cap (there?s an O-ring seal) and the top is wide open. Easy to bleed or add fluid without spilling any. Definitely more difficult on a side by side. If you use the firewall mounted reservoir, I would recommend something other than the plastic compression fittings that come with the kit, because they usually eventually leak. I ended up changing mine on my RV6 to the Safe-Aire push fittings like you use on your plastic pitot static lines. They held up fine and didn?t leak - and this is just for the non-pressurized clear plastic feed lines.

If you use the firewall mounted reservoir, I would recommend something other than the plastic compression fittings that come with the kit, because they usually eventually leak.

750 hours 11 years, per plans from Van?s. No leaks, ever. They will not leak when properly installed. I believe Van?s demo fleet will speak better than I.
However, for some reason, people just don?t get how they go together. Safe-air are much more fool proof, not saying anybody is a fool.

Back