What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

% power for engine health?

rvator4twa

Well Known Member
Patron
I love my O360 Lycoming with dual EFII and recently added the % power to my GRT EFIS. When I casually fly I am back at 35%power and with some leaning running about 125 mph and 5 gallons per hour or so. Is this type of flying hard on my engine. My friend suggests not less than 55% power. Thoughts?

Not to us.

first the % of power meters are not always a good and accurate of a gage, but close in many cases. We run an 8 at 115-125 Kts. a lot at 5.2-5.6 GPH. Our IFIS runs in the 42-45% range at that state of operation. If I am going on a long CX and don't need to get there in a hurry I will plan on a setting close to this and lean tell the RPM's drop and then push the mixture back up till the engine picks up where it started to fall off. This keeps the engine burning clean and at that low of a power setting with good fuel it is hard to hurt anything with a fixed pitch prop. Good setting for going through rain too. Just what we have found, hope it helps. Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888

Fly them 90% power LOP......they love it.

Stop worrying about it. You built a fast plane, fly it WOTLOPSOP

Wide Open throttle, Lean Of Peak, Std operating Procedure.

If in doubt read John Deakins engine articles.

I love my O360 Lycoming with dual EFII and recently added the % power to my GRT EFIS. When I casually fly I am back at 35%power and with some leaning running about 125 mph and 5 gallons per hour or so. Is this type of flying hard on my engine. My friend suggests not less than 55% power. Thoughts?

Won't hurt the engine. I'd keep it lean as possible just to minimize deposits; the high pressure injection and EI should allow you to get waaaay lean and remain smooth.

O-320 likes it

I have many of my 2000+ hours running locally LOP at ~5gph and ~130KTAS. Engine seems to love it and is still going strong.

I just lean until it stumbles then give it a twist back in. A little carb heat evens out the CHTs and she runs smooth. (I have a carb).

As Dan said, keep it lean!

I'm in line with RV10inOz when it comes to running these engines. Why have a fast plane and treat it like a Cessna or Piper. I am always 75 to 90 % power 180 kts cruise. The aircraft doesn't even like to fly below 50% power! Not really interested in what the powertrain does or doesn't like, because it doesn't have an opinion.

I do have friends that burn CHEAP auto fuel and pull the power way back and of course lean like they are burning their own blood. I just do not see the fun in that at all, why? There are no speed limits in our category that the majority of us will ever exceed. The aircraft was designed to fly at higher airspeeds, therefore higher power settings. My only concern is to stay within the operating limitations or the airframe and engine.

However, to answer your question, these engines will run all day long at idle or any power setting so long as they have a minimum of 20 lbs of oil pressure, the O2 and fuel mixture is close to stoichiometric ratio, RPM is not exceeded and the temperature limitations are within prescribed limits. Other than that the engine doesn't care! Personally, I think I can hear my engine getting happier the more fuel I give her, she purrs louder!

Good show Ron!
What is RPM when running 35%?
Would be cool to have MT CS prop like with Subby.

I'm in line with RV10inOz when it comes to running these engines. Why have a fast plane and treat it like a Cessna or Piper....
I do have friends that burn CHEAP auto fuel and pull the power way back and of course lean like they are burning their own blood. I just do not see the fun in that at all, why? There are no speed limits in our category that the majority of us will ever exceed. The aircraft was designed to fly at higher airspeeds, therefore higher power settings.

Depends on what you're flying for. If you're just up piddling around to enjoy the pretty local scenery or the sunset, why burn more gas than you have to?

One of the nice things about the RV is that you have that option...

Babying engine

Thanks to all the great responses so far. I had a Subaru H-4 initially with an MT electric constant speed prop. I had the quietest plane in my area and even after it blew a piston, was impressed enough that recently I purchased a 2014 Outback.

I began flying in 1963 in the Marines and then TWA, but alas, since 2003, I rather than others fund my flying so rarely do I use it to actually travel. I fly it 2-3 times a week purely for the joy of seeing the Lord?s handiwork. Today I flew my 300-303 Young Eagles over 14 years.

Am looking forward to cross country flights to see how well it does, just don?t want to be hurting it while waiting.

Babying engine

Thanks to all the great responses so far. I had a Subaru H-4 initially with an MT electric constant speed prop. I had the quietest plane in my area and even after it blew a piston, was impressed enough that recently I purchased a 2014 Outback.

I began flying in 1963 in the Marines and then TWA, but alas, since 2003, I rather than others fund my flying so rarely do I use it to actually travel. I fly it 2-3 times a week purely for the joy of seeing the Lord?s handiwork. Today I flew my 300-303 Young Eagles over 14years.

Am looking forward to cross country flights to see how well it does, just don?t want to be hurting it while waiting.

Good show old been.

I began flying in 1963 in the Marines and then TWA, but alas, since 2003, I rather than others fund my flying so rarely do I use it to actually travel. I fly it 2-3 times a week purely for the joy of seeing the Lord?s handiwork. Today I flew my 300-303 Young Eagles over 14years.

I like it. You can go out and have some fun as we do as well, or you can look at all the places you are going over and make some circles. These platforms if put together with some for thought will fit a number of flight profiles. I think that one of the big reasons so many different people like them for so many different reasons. You have the right idea here, make yourself happy doing the type of flying you enjoy at the time. Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888

Back