What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EAA SportAir Workshop - Sheet Metal Class Write-Up

On Saturday, February 25, 2017, at the Aviation Institute of Maintenance in Chesapeake, VA, I finally had the distinct pleasure of attending an EAA Sport Air Workshop. For those that can?t bear to read further, here?s the BLUF:

It was awesome, I learned so much, I strongly recommend it, if you?re thinking about it then please go!

Okay, so over the course of two days I went from ZERO practical experience to knowing I can build an RV. And, yes, I?ve been reading the forums, watching YouTube videos, and generally absorbing what I call ?academic? knowledge for years but I?ve taken a huge leap into the real and tangible world of building something ? a first for someone who has so far been only an academic hobbyist. Of course, that something I built is just a couple simple projects, but now I?m getting ahead of myself.

Saturday morning at 0730 we, yes my wife joined me (Best wife ever! ? love you sweetie), reported to the Sport Air Workshop check-in table and received our name tags. We were directed to wait by the coffee and we generally milled about making casual introductions while we waited for the official start at 0800.

After an official welcome and instructor introduction that took about fifteen minutes, we split up into our respective classes. There were four classes being held during the weekend. Sheet metal, composite construction, fabric covering, and gas welding; but, I already mentioned that we were signed up for sheet metal construction. I think I would have preferred the Van?s RV Assembly class if given the choice, but after waiting years the sheet metal class was a close second, available, and attendance was ultimately overdue.

We sat down in a respective classroom with nine students and our instructor, Mr. Ed McGowin. A quick round of ice-breaker introductions and our little class started into the lecture portion of the workshop. Mr. McGowin took us through about 60 slides of course material which served as a basic introduction to the knowledge behind sheet metal aircraft construction including: types of aluminum and rivets as well as their respective purposes, common and specialty sheet metal tools, construction techniques such as layout, drilling, deburring, dimpling, countersinking and various methods for riveting. He even briefly brought up the dreaded priming once we all agreed not to fight.

We were provided with a manual that included those slides, had the instructions for the projects, and included a collection of EAA?s Homebuilt Aircraft Council Reports written primarily by a Mr. Jack Dueck. The reports were especially nice because they included a couple of referenced discussions on follow-on topics pertaining to sheet metal construction such as riveting methods, stress and fatigue. Of course, a basic list of required and nice-to-have tools was also included. Mr. McGowin also brought along some preferred books from his personal library so that we could have a look.

After about two hours of classroom discussion, we left the classroom and moved out to the main workshop floor. We each took our place, with a respective vice and air compressor line, at a work station at one of the four person shop tables. Mr. McGowin had already positioned a tool bag for each of us. Here we each went through the bag to make sure we had all of the required tools. He passed out the respective project components, and we opened up the manual to the construction chapters.

The first project was a simple assembly of four pieces - three of which were flat aluminum strips, one of which was a 90 degree aluminum angle ? all of which were six inches long. All told the project required 24 rivets. We set eight AN470 (round head) rivets, another eight AN426 (flush head) rivets into dimples, and a final eight AN426 rivets into countersunk holes. The primary purpose was to familiarize everyone with the basics in preparation for the second project.

The second project was started on the first day but completed on the second, and it consisted of building a simple wing (two ribs, two spars) complete with piano hinged flap/aileron, stiffener, and round inspection/access cover. For those that might be concerned, the class has continued to undergo refinement and each participant built their own winglet! We continued to drill holes, debur, dimple, countersink, shape/bend and fit parts. The project incorporated a doubler plate and nutplates for the access cover. We also practiced back riveting and blind riveting. Throughout the projects we used a manual rivet squeezer as well as rivet gun and bucking bar ? there was even a mini c-frame for dimpling.

Now if I?m being honest, the class wasn?t perfect. There were a couple of typos in the manual, some gotchas and various hick-ups along the way, but it all made for an unforgettable experience. When Mr. McGowin walked over, at one point, and asked me what I was doing I knew that I had made a mistake. Sure enough, he reminded me (and he warned about his very mistake during the first morning?s lecture) riveting is supposed to be a way to connect two pieces of metal and that only works when you don?t forget the second piece of metal. I think we each learned during the course that no project is perfect - Drill ?em out and keep going.

The knowledge and confidence I gained will serve me well moving forward in this very real, very rewarding experimental aviation passion. So again, for those who aren?t quite sure yet, I would recommend signing up. I don?t think you?ll regret it. I know I left with what can only be described as an RV grin.

Thank you to EAA and the Sport Air team who have kept alive this invaluable course!

Thanks for the write up, I posted my workshop experience on a thread in VAF somewhere.
I just finished mine early Feb at Sun N Fun location in Lakeland..

As I noted I learned the basics and that is what the course was intended for.

I do wish they had a table sponsored by a tool company ( i think Spruce does some sponsoring) that had upgraded tools, dimplers, rivet guns and squeezers..
The tools we used were very dated and we were constantly borrowing each others tools, we also had one portable compressor ( 125PSI) for 15 students.

Still I learned the basics and would recommend the classes without hesitation.

BTW out of the 15 students, my two projects were the worst. I did have a hard time with the vague instructions but still I plan on doing both of Vans projects and 100s or more rivets/dimpling before touching my empennage....

again great write up..

I took the sheet metal class last year at OSH and enjoyed the weekend away enough to take the electrical class this past January.

I think I would have preferred the Van?s RV Assembly class if given the choice, but after waiting years the sheet metal class was a close second, available, and attendance was ultimately overdue.

I'm looking to take classes this year too in anticipation of starting an RV-14A project in 2018. What is the story with the Van's RV Assembly class? Are there classes each year? I'm eager to see if any will be scheduled, but it appears nothing is planned. I emailed Sportair asking but did not get a response?

My backup plan would be the Sportair sheet metal class too, first choice would be the RV Assembly class.

Regards,
Rich K

Rich, have you checked the EAA.org website? If I remember right, I think the SportAir RV workshop was only available on the west coast last year. I could be wrong.
As the write up says above, you do cover a lot of different facets of building an airplane from aluminum and rivets in the Sheet Metal class. I took the class just to see if it would be something I'd enjoy and also if I thought I could do it before I committed to buying a kit. There's also a ton of info and help here and elsewhere online. If you have an EAA chapter near you, that's good too. Also, there are a lot of workshops available during Airventure at OSH each year. At the end of the day, nothing beats getting hands-on with your own kit. Good luck to you!

All really good points.
The Sportair site for the past few months only says this about the RV Assembly class: "Please check back soon for a schedule of upcoming RV Assembly courses!"

I began learning my sheet metal practices at John Thorp's Burbank shop from retired professionals from the WW-II Lockheed, Northrup and North American factories.

I've served as a Tech Counselor at both the AirVenture 1/2 day workshops and one Weekend workshop at OSH.

Tentatively, it appears that I'll be offering a Sheet metal workshop at The Capitol Airshow over the weekend of September 9-10, 2017. If it goes, this will be a "hands on" workshop.

I like to describe my approach as emphasizing "how to build" over simple cut, drill, rivet techniques.

"Hands on" will be limited, but other students at my Sun'nFun sheet metal forums described the experience as "like drinking from a fire hose." So attending the lecture and observing the approach "over the shoulder" should be beneficial whether you secure a spot at the work table.

See more at http://www.californiacapitalairshow.com/ and maybe drop the promoters an email expressing your interest in a sheet metal workshop.

Onward and upward,

Marc Bourget

I began learning my sheet metal practices at John Thorp's Burbank shop from retired professionals from the WW-II Lockheed, Northrup and North American factories.

I've served as a Tech Counselor at both the AirVenture 1/2 day workshops and one Weekend workshop at OSH.

Tentatively, it appears that I'll be offering a Sheet metal workshop at The Capitol Airshow over the weekend of September 9-10, 2017. If it goes, this will be a "hands on" workshop.

I like to describe my approach as emphasizing "how to build" over simple cut, drill, rivet techniques.

"Hands on" will be limited, but other students at my Sun'nFun sheet metal forums described the experience as "like drinking from a fire hose." So attending the lecture and observing the approach "over the shoulder" should be beneficial whether you secure a spot at the work table.

See more at http://www.californiacapitalairshow.com/ and maybe drop the promoters an email expressing your interest in a sheet metal workshop.

Onward and upward,

Marc Bourget

I would have liked to take the RV Assembly class as well, but it just isn?t available as much as the sheet metal class ? except maybe at OSH, it seems. We still talked about RVs ? a lot. As I understand it, the RV Assembly class builds the Van?s Winglet practice kit which is pre-punched. Our sheet metal kit was not pre-punched. I think the differences between the two classes after that are minimal.

My class was very lucky that the AIM (A&P School) facility was available to host the EAA class. We had plenty of dedicated air. As I mentioned however, it wasn?t perfect: the tools provided for the class are well used, but they do the job. New fancy tools would be awesome, of course, but likely impractical. I also noticed that the manual is vague ? less so at the beginning and more so towards the end ? which struck me, at least, as partly deliberate. I know my wife, who had no previous shop experience, wanted a more detailed and thorough manual considering it was an introductory class. We both noted that it was a slightly condensed timetable ? fire hose effect. I will say that some people seemed to rush through everything and finished in the morning on the second day, maybe they were just that good, but my wife and I took our time and finished late on the second day. I would have enjoyed being even more methodical, but I can?t see it taking more than three days given the current syllabus.

Ultimately, I had a good time and enjoyed learning some of the basics. When the time is right, I will probably take the composite and electrical classes. I think getting hands on experience, however limited, was really what I wanted out of the class. Most importantly, I left knowing I can do this crazy plane building thing.

Sport Air Workshops..

..are great. I urge aspiring builders to take that class too. I would also recommend taking your spouse to the class. Even if they don't end up helping you much, they will have a good appreciation of what it takes to build the airplane, and should be more supportive because of this experience.

Back