What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

mGL V6 help needed

Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
Can you give me your setup for the V6 ? I have read Matt and Rainers guidance and people still tell me my transmission is functional but "garbled". Reception is very clear in my Halo headset. Transmitting is the problem.

I would like to buy an MGL mini iefis system at OSH but have real trouble if the comm is is this hard to master.

V6 Setup

Hi Larry

I have got the V6 in my RV6 and super happy with it. Although it did take me some time to get it working 100% as transmit was always like you say garbled.

But This was my fault! It is very sensitive to any ground issues like any other radio. I would highly suggest you check your antenna connections making sure they are crimped correctly and grounding is 100%, even redo them if you must to confirm. This would have saved me a huge amount of time chasing the ghost!

Mine is super clear now and i cant make any complaints about this radio, is bloody magic!!

My setting with halo headsets are as follow.

VOX- I have got good results on this and mostly use it
Or I use Vogad medium with a mic level of around -7 it think.

Let us know if you need more info or how you go, but trust me on checking the grounding!

Call Matt tomorrow

Matt is MR. MGL. Located at Torrance California Airport, he is a great resource for MGL equipment - likely he can solve your problem over the phone. I know that he will stick with you until you are happy with his MGL equipment. His phone number is 877-835-9464. Best to you.:cool:

MGL V6

Larry

It sounds like the mic gain may not be set correctly (i.e.,, too high). If possible try communicating with someone who has a handheld Xmitter, changing the mic gain up or down until the person with the handheld can hear your transmissions clearly. Also, pay attention to the mic level bar graph as described in manual under Microphone Level. In my experience, the mic level may vary depending on the headset. Overall, here is what I set my V6 for use with Telex 50D headsets:

Ambient noise suppression VOX
Squelch adjustment: 0
Program channels: OFF
Contrast: 40
Microphone level: -1.5
Music level/mute 0 / off
Auxiliary input levels: +30 db
Microphone bandpass filter: OFF

TX MIC VOX / HOT: VOX
TX LOCK ON / OFF: OFF
P-scan ON / OFF: OFF
PTT Configuration: JOIN
Flip-Flop FS / Direct FS: FLIP-FLOP
MIC Levels: 4
Pilot Isolate configuration: 2 + 2
Auxiliary input configuration: ON
Audio output configuration: IC & RX
Sidetone configuration: ALL

Warren
RV-7

My MGL V6 settings

I had garbled transmissions from overdriving the mic inputs. I have Litespeed Zulu 2 headsets and software version is 310816 (August 31, 2016)
VOX = 8
Microphone level = -7.5
Microphone bandpass filter = Weak

Software version 310816 incorporates the changes below;
-New digital audio filtering of the microphone signals with very steep responses based on cockpit spectral noise research results.
-Faster reaction time for all Vogad noise reduction algorithms.
-Longer delay to switch off for VOX intercom (extended to one second)
-New band filter implementation for very noisy environments with two settings (Mild and Strong).
-Dual volume settings: Radio RX and Intercom now have independent volumes. Rotate volume knob to set radio volume. Press volume knob briefly and then rotate to set Intercom volume.
-RF feedback elimination system. Digital signal processing eliminates effects of RF feedback in compromised installations.
-Doubled rate of radio status transmission on RS232 for remote control systems.
-Modifications to PTT join/separate operation allows voice on intercom from blocked source but not on air.

A couple of notes after doing the software update from 061015 to 310816. It pulled across my existing settings and memory channels. Receive and Intercom levels are now separate and Receive volume came up ?0? after the update, so you may have to turn up the volume (Intercom volume came up at the prior setting). To my ear the mic has a clearer sound with new software, but I needed to turn up the VOX level or the mic remains open during climb-out. Measured sound level at the mic is 114dB,

Thanks for the response !

i REALLY appreciate the help. This has been frustrating. Will update or contact you as needed when progress is made...Larry

RX GREAT TX breaking up !

The only success I have had is with VOX on the ground to handheld. I use a Halo headset. VOGAD is always broken or "garbled". Is it possible to Rx well and not Tx because of coax or ground issues. Thanks in advance.

The MGL instructions just don't work for me. I cannot hear my own voice level to compare to Rx volume level. Cannot hear engine/cockpit noise to optimize VOGAD/VOX level. If I cannot solve this on my RV3, I am buying a Dynon system for my -4 at OSH.

Frustrated

I have a V6 installed in my Murphy Rebel and have been underwhelmed. It is setup fine for VOX and comm on most freqs. However freqs from 119.0-120.5 and 124.85-126 are so garbled other people can't understand me. However 123.45 and 122.975 are perfectly fine. VSWR was pretty low within the entire band and within tolerance. This is the same whether on the ground with only the radio on or in the air with everything on. I tried emailing matt but got no response then just dropped it. However, I may try to reach out to him again and see if anything can be done. Good luck on your endeavors and keep us posted.

V6 issues

Larry, if the coax connections and antenna are good (might try using a handheld at 5 watts through the V6 coax to its antenna and TX to another radio) for a TX test, and recieve is clear it's either a Mic issue or a V6 radio issue.

If you would like when I get back from Oshkosh I'll send you a V6 test radio complete wiring harness that you can plug into back of the radio, then use your or any standard headset and just provide temporary power to it. This way you can do some more troubleshooting to separate radio from A/C wiring.

Just let me know.

Cecil

MGL V6

Larry I have a MGL V6 in my RV3 and I use a halo headset, took me a while to get the transmit to sound good.I will get all the settings off of the radio if you would like maybe yours will work on the same settings.text me 478 232 2969 or email [email protected] if you want me to send them to you let me know

Check your jack fiber washers

I had a similar issue a few years ago, mine was caused by an backwards fiber washer on the mic jack itself in the panel, on the ground everything transmitted fine but when the engine was vibrating I suspect the mic jack was grounding itself to the panel. If I remember correctly, one of the washers from MGL had a lip on one side to center it in the hole and the other side is flat.

I'm no expert and it has been a while, so my memory may be wrong, but that worked for me. Since then I have been very happy with it. Good luck.

-Bryan

Back