What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

If You Smell Something Funny...

rv6ejguy

Well Known Member
My Dad and I were up in the 6A this morning for a local training flight. My Dad was PIC. Lifted off and were climbing out on our way to 7500 feet. At about 1000 AGL, I noticed a faint smell of Hypoid fluid. Hmmm unusual.

I switched the engine monitor over to scan mode to look at the gearbox temps. No issue at 55C. We leveled off and both commented on the smell which was not subsiding but not getting any worse either. We both decided a return the the airport was in order.

Called Calgary Terminal and let them know our intentions and that we had an odor in the cockpit. They gave us a return course and authorized a descent to 6000. Pulled back power to 20 inches and started down slowly while watching gearbox temps. We were about 10 miles from Springbank Airport so we didn't want to get rid of too much altitude just in case. Gearbox temp stayed at 55C. The smell disappeared after a couple minutes.

We requested to remain high and Calgary asked us if we wished to declare an emergency. We declined but he authorized any altitude and cleared us for downwind left 16 before handing us over to Springbank Tower. We stayed high and close in with lots of speed on. Springbank Tower held waiting traffic and made us #1, clearing us for the full stop. Kept the base tight and only lowered half flap on late base- still with 95 knots on. High on final but no problem with 5000 feet of runway and a bit of slipping to get rid of some energy and altitude.

My Dad did a good landing in the crosswind conditions.

Taxied in and shut down. A few drops of oil on the ground and some oil on the bottom of the cowling made it clear we had made the right decision to return early.

Could only remove the top cowling so far. Looks like the oil was coming from the gearbox breather. Prop backlash on the gearbox was normal. Strange indeed, have to wait for it to cool down to investigate further.

Anyway we both felt good about the decision and how everything was handled. The controllers were great. If there are any lessons to be learned, maybe here are a few:

1. Unusual smells are caused by something. Don't hope they will go away. Best to investigate on the ground rather than trouble shoot in the air.

2. You never HAVE to complete any flight. Don't be afraid to turn back if something is not right.

3. Let ATC know what you want and need and maybe a little bit about your problem. They are there to assist and will gladly give you priority if they can even if you don't declare an emergency. On the flip side, If you believe your problem may be serious, don't hesitate to declare an emergency.

4. Keep your altitude and speed up until you are sure the field is made. I would never use full flap unless you are almost over the button. If you are one to always use full flap on every landing, include some training with no and half flaps so you are up on the handling and attitude differences.

The 6A has been very reliable for the last 4 years, almost zero maintenance and snags but I've never become complacent that nothing will ever go wrong with it. Before every flight, we brief on what we will do in the event of a power loss depending on wind and runway in use. Brief on respective duties etc. We don't fly over the rocks or even large forested areas, no lights so we don't fly at night either. We also do plenty of training to stay sharp.

It turned out well today but given the amount of oil on the cowling, had we proceeded with the planned 90 minute flight, it is quite possible we would have had a very bad day, ending up forced landing in a field somewhere. As usual, we both learned something new on this flight which can be applied in the future.

Last edited:
# 5....

5. Even a plane a few years old with a few hundred hours can suddenly have something odd happen...don't become complacent.

who farted????

seriously, Ross knows his ship and Soob fwf like the back of his hand. I'm sure that helped a bit. As a new owner of a plane built by someone else, I have to admit I don't know everything I should about typical failure points.

another thought, how many of us catch ourselves saying " I was by myself, so I did this or that, I'd NEVER do it with a passenger!"
why is that? In this case, I'm sure Ross took it seriously regardless of his passenger, but would I have tooled around a little longer if by myself, trying to establish if the smell was something I flew over, or was it really under MY cowl?

Has anyone listed the top 10 in-flight problems ( mechanical), and what to watch for? I often read some of you many-thousand hours guys say things like, " well the OP was rising, and the MP was dropping, and the OAT was below delta, so it had to be a bad grapple-grommet...! etc."
I don't think I'd have any idea until I could read 'sensenich' on that big metal stick out front.
Kudos to those that are expert technicians and A&P's etc., but somehow the other half of us need to get up to speed on recognizing the signs.

1. Unusual smells are caused by something. Don't hope they will go away. Best to investigate on the ground rather than trouble shoot in the air.

Don't forget 1a): When the first smell stops, it's because you're out of whatever made it. The next smell will be worse, and probably catastrophic.

:D

Don't forget 1a): When the first smell stops, it's because you're out of whatever made it. The next smell will be worse, and probably catastrophic.

:D

In this case the smell was unmistakable- nothing else smells like hot hypoid gear oil. I know all the other smells as I have had them all leak before- Mobil 1 smells sweet when it hits hot exhaust pipes and coolant has its own smell. The gearbox is the only thing with hypoid fluid in it so That is why I monitored the gearbox temp. If it was going up, we would have looked for a road down below for sure instead of returning to base

Last edited:
Perry, and others.....

.........Kudos to those that are expert technicians and A&P's etc., but somehow the other half of us need to get up to speed on recognizing the signs.

....a friend once suggested putting a "Bounty" anti-static laundry cloth under the seat for a very nice, fresh scent in the car or airplane, while it's not in use, sitting in the hangar. It works well and should really help in contrasting a fuel or oil/smoke smell in the cockpit.

The main point is that you should be able to always know how your airplane smells and anything different is cause for concern,

Best,

Great advice

Some years ago, I was flying a SOCATA Trinidad TC, Lycoming TIO-540.

The two of us on board would, every so often, catch just the faintest whiff of avgas. Not overwhelming, just a very slight tinge, almost nothing more than a suggestion. If we hadn't both smelled it, I might have doubted my own senses. It did seem worse during the initial climb, and then it tailed off during cruise. But it remained.

We agreed it was better to abort the flight, which we did. The airplane went into the shop and I happened to be there. The A&P found nothing wrong, no obvious fuel leaks or stains. He was about to give up when I happened to nudge the #1 fuel injector shroud. (Remember this is a turbo installation, and the injectors have pressurized shrouds around them.) The brazed fitting was broken right at the root, but held in its original position by the hose.

We surmised that at high power (high MP), fuel was passing back through the break in the shroud. At cruise power (lower MP), the pressure differential to ambient was lower and there was very little leakage.

I'm sure glad we didn't wait for that to become a serious leak.

The Dummy Filling the Gearbox

Well after checking everything out two weeks ago, no metal in the oil, seals intact and total loss of gearbox oil was about 2-3 oz however this goes a long way on an airplane and Hypoid oil smells baadd when it hits hot things...

So I'm looking at the gearbox and in magic marker, I wrote .75L on it at last annual. Why would I do that when it's supposed to have .55L in it? Well the dipstick didn't lie when I checked it before draining, the level was almost an inch higher than it should have been. Why this never showed up until now- 11 hours of flight time since the annual, I don't know.:confused:

Anyway back to .55L and guess what- smell is gone. Airplanes have ways of talking to you when you screw up.:eek:

Well after checking everything out two weeks ago, no metal in the oil, seals intact and total loss of gearbox oil was about 2-3 oz however this goes a long way on an airplane and Hypoid oil smells baadd when it hits hot things...

So I'm looking at the gearbox and in magic marker, I wrote .75L on it at last annual. Why would I do that when it's supposed to have .55L in it? Well the dipstick didn't lie when I checked it before draining, the level was almost an inch higher than it should have been. Why this never showed up until now- 11 hours of flight time since the annual, I don't know.:confused:

Anyway back to .55L and guess what- smell is gone. Airplanes have ways of talking to you when you screw up.:eek:
Wow - that is a satisfyingly cheap fix. Great news.

Time to add "Gearbox dipstick level .... CHECK" to the annual inspection checklist, after the item to change the oil.

Wow - that is a satisfyingly cheap fix. Great news.

Time to add "Gearbox dipstick level .... CHECK" to the annual inspection checklist, after the item to change the oil.

I usually do verify with the dipstick and I must have had a brain fart not only for failing to but also having the presence of mind to write .75L on the gearbox casing- as if to confirm my mistake! Perhaps Alzheimer's is setting in early?

Overfilling is safer than forgetting to put oil in I guess.

I've been very happy with the Marcotte gearbox so far, not a lick of trouble to date- a lot better than some of the other gearboxes flying out there.

Back