What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Adjustable set holder in tandem squeezer?

SFOhio

Since I started my RV-10 empennage, I've been using a "tandem" (6000 lb.) pneumatic squeezer that I picked up off ebay about a year ago.

I'd really like an adjustable set to save time putting washers on and off. The generally accepted reason the adjustable sets for use in the single-cylinder cp214 squeezers won't work in the tandem squeezers is because the threads will be stripped from the extra force.

I'm wondering... Has anyone ever tried putting their adjustable set holder in a tandem squeezer? I'm not concerned about the threads, since Bob Avery was able to find me an adjustable set with beefy threads. I'm just wondering if it should FIT in the squeezer.

The set doesn't fit in my tandem squeezer and I'm wondering if:
a.) I have an "oddball" squeezer, or
b.) The set is only designed to fit in the single-cylinder squeezer

Either way, I'm probably just going to buy a single-cylinder squeezer. It would just be nice to know if there's something that I'm missing that might explain why the set doesn't fit down into the squeezer.

Thanks!

Aaron

Thanks Danny, I did come across that thread. I suspect I will end up doing what Damian did and buy a new squeezer. Mostly, I am curious to know if anyone can fit their adjustable ram in a tandem squeezer. Without having a single-cylinder unit to compare, I'm just guessing, but I'm thinking that the "channel" where the ram slides up and down is of different dimensions in the tandem unit. That must be why it doesn't fit in my squeezer.

rivet size

I'm not sure if it will fit a tandem or not. (I feel it could be made to fit)
Yes your right the tandem CAN develop double the force of the single squeezer. However I would think that as long as you only squeeze 1/8" rivets with it you will not damage the adjustable set.

Back