What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Radio/Intercom wiring......so confused!

cropdusterdave

Well Known Member
I've been wiring my plane using the VP-X and it has all gone really well so far. However, I'm now to the point of wiring in my radio and intercom. (Icom A-200 and Flightcom 403LSA) I'm so lost looking at the wiring diagrams... Do I follow the audio wiring diagram that came with the radio....or the intercom? All the aircraft power pin outs are jumped together for both in and out (4 of them)....are they from the same power wire from the VP-X? Can I jump that power to the intercom?

I'm only listing these questions to display my extreme ineptitude. I am wondering if there is some good reading material or some other reference somewhere I can check out to help me along in the learning process. Would a wiring harness from Stein do me any favors?

Any guidance wold be great and appreciated.....

This is not what you asked, but:

I would call Stein and have him recommend a decent intercom. Unless I am mistaken, the Flightcom opens up both mikes even when just one person speaks. This makes for twice the background noise. Stein can make up a harness for you if you wish.

What you asked: Follow the intercom wiring diagram.

Hi Dave

If you are using the intercom as the integration point for your audio, then follow the intercoms wiring instructions, I used the same flightcom 403 and iCom 210 radio and followed the intercom wiring diagrams without any issues.

Cheers
Eddie

What you asked: Follow the intercom wiring diagram.

Agreed and pay particular attention to grounding and shield termination.

I would also suggest talking with SteinAir or Aerotronics. Sounds like you really have an apprehension to do the wiring due to your lack of experience. It's really not that difficult, but can be quite frustrating in tracking down a ground loop that is generating that buzz in your ear. It's something that you want to get right the first time.

I believe that there is a chapter on audio in Bob Nuckolls book, but it's been awhile since I've read it. There really aren't many reference material books or articles available. The installation docs from your intercom is probably your best source.

A-200

I used the intercom function in the icom. Each of two seats has one momentary double pole, double throw switch to activate the VOX (intercom) and TX (transmit). The cockpit is really noisy and I couldn't get the VOX to work right. Everything is shielded and grounded to the same spot. Works good. It took a while to figure out, but I managed after a few hours fooling around with it.

Thanks for the replies folks. I will continue to fight the fight. As with all challenges on this project...i will figure it out eventually. And then i will wonder why i was so confused in the first place.

Back