What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FT-60 RED CUBE INSTALLATION

RV-4

Well Known Member
Hello everyone

A friend of mine is installing a GRT EFIS in his RV-6 and with that will have fuel flow displayed.

He's wondering where to mount the FT-60 Red Cube in the engine compatment.

Is there anyone here who has installed one and will have pictures they could send me to give us ideas on how and where to mount it?

Thanks you

Bruno
[email protected]

red cube

Here's how I did it - just made a bracket to match the hoses that I had custom made by Spruce.

http://www.rv8.ch/red-cube-fuel-flow-transducer-installation/

img_1554-1024x768.jpg

Bruno---this is another one of those cases where there is no wrong answer, just better ones. There are many installs that work with excellent results. Some better than others. Mickey's install is excellent, as a most of the the ones you'll see on VAF. Best results are where the transducer is located between the pump and servo or carb, or between the servo and flow divider for injected models.

Tom

Electronics International is the manufacturer of the 'cube', I would suggest you go to thier website and review their installation manuals.

Red Cube.

The location of the red cube will differ greatly with different FWF setups.
Carbs are different from FI setups for sure.

Also, long time users also have found the red cube should be protected from HEAT, so wraping with fire sleeve or the foil faced materials that the car guys use. Either way, the cooler the better. Hot locations will work for awhile.

The preffered location is per manufactures info and between the engine driven pump and the carb or spider. Although other locations do work.

Also use steel fitting over aluminum fitting in the cube to help with gauling. Please do not use teflon tape for thread sealing, properly use a paste type sealant.

RED CUBE

Gentlemen

Thank you for your imputs, greatly appreciated as usual.

I already have a Red Cube installed in my RV-4 but we were wondering if there was a special or different way to mount it in a RV-6.

I will review the Archives for more info.

Thanks again

Bruno

I need to replace a Floscan transducer in my RV-8, and will probably go for the EI FT60, red cube.

The Floscan transducer is located aft of firewall, after fuel selector and before aux pump.

Do you see a problem with having it on low pressure side?

I need to replace a Floscan transducer in my RV-8, and will probably go for the EI FT60, red cube.

The Floscan transducer is located aft of firewall, after fuel selector and before aux pump.

Do you see a problem with having it on low pressure side?
There is some concern about vapor lock when a fuel servo is installed on the low pressure side, which is why many say that the best place is right before the fuel spider (assuming fuel injection). Otherwise, Van's shows it installed in the fuel hose between the engine-driven mechanical fuel pump and the fuel servo/carburetor.

That said, there seem to be a lot of people with it installed on the cool side of the firewall without too many problems.

Last edited:
Orientation

FWIW, my conversation with EI regarding orientation of the wire should be up. My FI RV4 layout was begging for a vertical input to output orientation. They said that is OK, the life of jeweled impeller may be less than 100% but otherwise function is normal. So, my red cube is vertical in to out, with with the wire exit slightly above horizontal. Also, it is mounted on a rubber strip to isolate from engine vibration.

Back