What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GDU 370 and 375 ?

UH1CW2

Well Known Member
Do any of the GDU units (370 or 375) have a built in AHRS or Magnatometer? Do the non G3X units have a Primary Flight Display (Artificial Horizon) built into them? Or, do you have to purchase a G3X to get the Primary Flight Display? Not quite understanding what the 370 or 375 offer over the 696 and 695 portable GPS units. Can anyone explain?

Other will chime in more details then I can.

GDU370 - no XM WX capability

GDU375 - XM WX capable

Both need a separate AHRS to get attitude.

Both are panel mountable and do NOT need a dock.

GDU375 in my panel:

Last edited:
One Garmin ADAHRS (GSU25) can provide primary flight display info to both 370's or 375's if you have two, in fact a typical two screen G3X system will have one GSU25. This data is shared via the CAN bus with both 370/375's. I have two 370's (no XM), and I can get PFD info on one or both at the same time with only one AHRS. If one screen (370) fails, the remaining screen will compact and show PFD, NAV (map), and engine info in a compacted form. With only one ADARS unit, if that fails you would not have any PFD info unless you have some sort of backup system - either a secondary GSU25, or a stand alone secondary flight display of some sort.

Do any of the GDU units (370 or 375) have a built in AHRS or Magnatometer? Do the non G3X units have a Primary Flight Display (Artificial Horizon) built into them? Or, do you have to purchase a G3X to get the Primary Flight Display? Not quite understanding what the 370 or 375 offer over the 696 and 695 portable GPS units. Can anyone explain?

The portable 696 is a stand alone moving map with some great features.

The panel mount G3X (370/375) units are the basic building blocks of a glass panel system. By adding an ADAHRS, OAT and Magnetometer to the 370/375 you have the basic PFD display, you can add more screens, autopilot, engine monitoring etc. to the G3X system.

Read more about the G3X system here:

http://www.garmin.com/us/products/intheair/sport-aviation/g3x/

Thanks guys for the INFO

To start off, nice panel you have there.

I wish I had the real-estate like the RV8 guys do, the long EZ is just to tight! My plane has about a 6 inch wide by 8 inch tall section on the right side where a 370 will fit like a rubber glove. I have the GRT EFIS in the middle and my radios on the left side like SmilingJack. The difference is all my stuff has about 5mm separation, everything is line to line fit. I was looking for a replacement moving map on the right as the old 2000c Lowrance is no longer supported. I have an iFly 720 mounted vertical in that spot for the time being. However, my goal is to permanently install a panel mount System on the right for moving map and back up PDF. The Garmin 370 will fit but I did not want to spend another 2 grand on AHRS and Magnatometer for a second PDF. I guess I can hold off for a while before I upgrade the 370 with PDF.
I'm doing a minimum panel upgrade.
Getting rid of the KX125 and installing a Garmin 430W
Getting rid of the Narco AT150 and installing a GTX335
Getting rid of the Trio wing leveler and installing GRT 2 axis autopilot
Getting rid of the iFly 720 and installing a GDU370
Anyway, I appreciate all the help with the avionics. You would not believe how frustrating it is to call the avionics stores and have the sales reps read right from the brochures and not have a clue what is compatible or how it functions.

Last edited:
Back