What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Missed Dimple

cderk

Well Known Member
It was bound to happen sooner or later. Measure twice, cut once.
I forgot to dimple a hole on the lower skin of my tailcone. I realized it AFTER most of the J-channel had already been riveted.

I've heard that its possible to dimple using a rivet gun, but I'm not sure I have the proper tools to do that. Aside from that, is there another good way to do this, or is it easier to just use a pop rivet? The mating piece behind the skin is dimpled - its just the skin that I forgot.

As far as tools go - I have my c-frame dimpler, my pneumatic squeezer and I also have the close quarters dimple set that uses the pop rivet tool. I just don't think you can get enough pressure with this - not to mention that the flanges are behind the skin

Thanks
Charlie

You could try to fix it this way:

IMG_3621.JPG

Been there, done that.

For me the fix was to drill a hole in the end of a brass drift, sized to hold a dimple male die, another hole in a bucking bar to hold the female die.

A buddy holds the bucking bar/female die inside the fuse, I put the drift/male die into the hole, and smacked the drift with a hammer.

Practice on scrap might be a good idea...........

I did that a time or two myself. I took one of my bigger bucking bars and drilled a small hole in it that I could insert the tail of the female dimpling die. Then I used my rivet gun with the male die in it, set the pressure pretty low (40# or so) and then carefully dimpled the skin. The pop rivet dimpler didn't work with the thick skins and especially if when there was a rib behind it.

Bucking bar

I did that a time or two myself. I took one of my bigger bucking bars and drilled a small hole in it that I could insert the tail of the female dimpling die. Then I used my rivet gun with the male die in it, set the pressure pretty low (40# or so) and then carefully dimpled the skin. The pop rivet dimpler didn't work with the thick skins and especially if when there was a rib behind it.

Need to fab a few of these...
20150506_143732.jpg

Been there, done that.

For me the fix was to drill a hole in the end of a brass drift, sized to hold a dimple male die, another hole in a bucking bar to hold the female die.

A buddy holds the bucking bar/female die inside the fuse, I put the drift/male die into the hole, and smacked the drift with a hammer.

Practice on scrap might be a good idea...........

Thanks Mike - sounds like it would work. I haven't thought about hitting something with a hammer. I guess at that point, I can just take the Ram out of my C-Frame dimpler and use that. I'll give it a try tomorrow and see what happens.

The tailcone has been the most frustrating so far - I'm almost done. Just need to start putting the finishing touches on it. My wings should be here in another 2 weeks!

Thanks everyone

Need to fab a few of these...
20150506_143732.jpg

Larry - what is the long tool sitting in the dimple die block? Is that just an extender?

I definitely need to start drilling some holes in a few bucking bars or something. It would be useful for removing rivets.

Thanks,
Charlie

If I'm not mistaken, that's an extension for the C-frame tool. Sometimes it's handy to get a little elevation from the standard base, so you use that to raise the die up.

Back