What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to trim the Ego!!

salto

Well Known Member
Well it was a fine Saturday morning, tail kit inventoried, time to start the first job. Simple enough read and reread, match drilled the doubler plate to the forward vertical spar .... looking good.... reread to make sure I had it on the right side. reread then promptly countersunk the holes on the plate the wrong way.... congratulations I said to myself !!! Anyway easy enough plate to remanufacture.
By lunchtime Sunday had the vert stab ready for riveting .... the rivets on the rear spar started to look so much better when you wind the air pressure down from 100 psi to 40 I notice!!...... great kit.

I reordered parts within the first section too. Now making really good headway on the fuselage with a pair of wings and tail ready to attach to something. You'll make stupider mistakes if you are anything like me.

Good luck with the rest of the build.

Riveting

My build table had 2 air outlets, after a year I re plumbed table and added a small regulator & 3rd outlet for the rivet gun. Big convienence factor not having to back and forth to the compressor to adjust pressure, should have done this in the beginning.

Don B.

RV 9 Rebuild in Progress.

Last edited:
How to trim the ego

Smart thinking cajunwings can't beat being well organised.... now where did those cleco pliers go.... %$^#

Thanks for the encouragement HeliCooper, just a question though, about to slide the vert skin into place an start bending a few rivets and I notice there are no nut plates for the fairing between the where the plans say leave open for screws on the bottom rib. Did you work this out?

Under Pressure

Here is a table of recommended air pressures. Before using them, make sure they work with your gun and compressor.

How to trim the ego

Thanks Bill and Miles I brought a brass regulator for the end of the gun. It has 1 to 6 incements on it but doesnt seem to make any difference.
Bill thank you for the pressure chart that will help and congrats on getting your project finished.
Also having trouble with the Avery rivet squeezer, the bits that came with it dont adjust the clearance so I transferred the adjustable rod from the hand squeezer. Squeezed one rivet and now it doesnt deliver any power at the end of the stroke. So I put it in the healing corner with a couple of empty cans of beer to keep it company.

Smart thinking cajunwings can't beat being well organised.... now where did those cleco pliers go.... %$^#

Thanks for the encouragement HeliCooper, just a question though, about to slide the vert skin into place an start bending a few rivets and I notice there are no nut plates for the fairing between the where the plans say leave open for screws on the bottom rib. Did you work this out?

You are okay. Rivet away. I believe you will put the nutplates on later during the finish kit. Someone else can probably speak better to that as I do not have that kit yet.

Well it was a fine Saturday morning, tail kit inventoried, time to start the first job.

Salto - I was at the Vans factory in August when they pointed out an RV 14 waiting to get picked up and shipped to Australia. I think this was your airplane as you are builder 241 and I ordered mine a couple days later and I am 243.

Best wishes with your build!

salto

Thanks Chris and all the very best with your build. Vans did a great job with customer service and packing the kit. It all arrived like it had just left the factory. I am really apprieciating the way the parts fit together.

Thanks Bill and Miles I brought a brass regulator for the end of the gun. It has 1 to 6 incements on it but doesnt seem to make any difference.
My was the same. Then I thought to crank it clockwise till it shut off the flow and then opened until the 1 was barely working. Now all is good. 1 is weak, 6 is hold on.

salto

Thanks Rick I'll give that a go. Sorted out the Avery rivet squeezer... read the instructions that helped!!

Back