What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Atlanta area Spin / Basic Aerobatic Training

Jared_Solomon

Well Known Member
Does anyone know of a CFI in the Atlanta, GA area that does Spin training and possibly basic Aerobatic training? RV specific training would be ideal and in my plane would be even better.

Greg Koontz does basic acro training at his place in Alabama. It looks like he is a paltry 66nm from your location. The airport identifier for the grass strip he is based on is AL60 (Duggers Field), though if you want/need to go into something larger Northeast Alabama Regional (GAD) is nearby.

I have no affiliation with Greg, but have flown with him multiple times. It has always been a very enjoyable experience. Find his training information at :

http://www.gkairshows.com/Newsite/Training/Training.html

You'd have to talk with him about training in your plane, but my impression from things he has said in the past is that he is willing to consider that sort of arrangement. I'm sure that it all depends upon the specific circumstances though (i.e. W&B, etc.).

Jared, Try Elgin Wells at KLZU (Gwinnett County) 678 464 4790. He's the guy who puts on the "night" shows with his airplane all lit up. Also try Kent Gorton down at Mallard's Landing GA04, (about 30 miles south of Hartsfield Jackson.)

314 368 6007 Elgin has I believe it was a Decathalon, and Kent has an RV 6

(I'm the guy who bought your parachute)

Thanks!

Thanks for the info guys! I'll make some calls and see if I can set something up.

Don, how did the parachute fit?

If you take the RV 8 backrest cushion out, the chute is a little wide against the 90* seat back edges the backrest cushion notches into. So I ask my pararigger about it, and he wasn't really worried about it. That plus the fact that one is prevented from squirming by the shoulder harnesses put both our mines at ease. (Its repacked by the way) Also, he packed it to be a bit thinner---it was too "fat" before.

Kent Gorton is 15 miles south of Atlanta at Mallards landing. He is a former Toyota airshow pilot and gives aerobatic instruction in a RV6. You can't go wrong using him. His hanger is always interesting also!
Ph 314 368 6007.
George

Last edited:
Back