What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for a tool...

kbalch

Well Known Member
Just wondering if such a thing exists...

I'd like to find a die/set holder about 1" tall. Something with a male end that'll plug into the lower receiver of my C-frame dimpler and with a matching female end opposite.

The idea is to use it to back rivet a few 470-type rivets immediately adjacent to a bulkhead flange.

Any ideas?

I’ve made a lot of those on my lathe - really easy, even for a lathe hacker like myself. If you have access to a lathe, or a friend who can do it for you, just make one up out of 4130 stock.

Paul

I have also produced these on my lathe in various lengths for various riveting setups. If you can not make or source one locally, I would be glad to make one for you in exchange for a donation to VAF.
Ian

I think Bob Avery may have included just such a thing with his C-frame.
I may have one in the drawer. Will check tonight.

I think Bob Avery may have included just such a thing with his C-frame.

He did, indeed. I'm not sure how I managed to forget it, but I was sure I'd seen something like it somewhere!

I just found it in my stash of "I'll never need that" stuff that's accompanied various tools over the years (extra allen wrenches, etc.). :eek:

Thanks, gents, for all the helpful input. I've been meaning to buy a lathe for years; if I only had a place to put it...

Take a bolt with the correct shank size, both length and diameter. Cut off both ends. Drill a hole in each end deep enough for the dimple die. Use a piece of and old drill bit or bolt of the correct size and JB weld that stub in one end.

Back