What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N313GT First Flight

YellowJacket RV9

Well Known Member
Patron
Well some nasty weather rolled through early this AM, hopefully going easy on Lakeland, but by 8:30 the skies were clear and wind was calm, and I got to fly N313GT for the first time - it was pleasantly uneventful. She flew hands-off and as expected the only hard part was slowing her down.

Take-off roll was extremely short - I had a friend setup at the first taxiway to shoot pictures but was off well before I got there. Climbed out at 100 knots and was at 3000' before I knew it. I have 4 new ECI cylinders so I watched the CHT's - #3 topped out at about 406 for about 20 minutes and then I noticed a distinct drop. The others were in the 365-395 range. I kept power at about 70-75% for 35 minutes and then did a brief slow-flight test, with a full flap stall right at 40 knots. Came back into the pattern and flew final at 65 and then 60 knots. Just like Jan Bussell said it would, the plane landed itself and made me look good.

Thank you to everybody here for answering what started as dumb questions and hopefully at least became slightly less so over 3.5 years. I have learned immensely. Thanks to Jan for excellent transition training, and to Vic Syracuse for a thorough inspection and the confidence-inspiring kind words. And it doesn't hurt to have an amazingly supportive wife.

As they say, it's all worth it. And now, the grin....

sFN6BpL.jpg

Congrats!

Good show Chris.

I've got just over 450 hrs on my 9A and contend that while not the fastest of the family, it's the easiest to fly. Sounds like you're finding that out fast.

If you're at ZPH tomorrow, be sure to stop by Hanger 4 facing the 5-23.
George and I will be there in the AM then lunch at the best Mexican Restaurant in the area in downtown ZHills. Join us!

Good show Chris.

I've got just over 450 hrs on my 9A and contend that while not the fastest of the family, it's the easiest to fly. Sounds like you're finding that out fast.

If you're at ZPH tomorrow, be sure to stop by Hanger 4 facing the 5-23.
George and I will be there in the AM then lunch at the best Mexican Restaurant in the area in downtown ZHills. Join us!

Thanks Carl - Unfortunately I have to work tomorrow so won't be able to fly again until Saturday. It will be the longest 24 hours of my life. Hope to meet you soon though! I have a large phase 1 area so hopefully after I have gotten through the initial test phases I can meet up for some lunch fly-outs, etc.

Chris

Thanks Carl - Unfortunately I have to work tomorrow so won't be able to fly again until Saturday. It will be the longest 24 hours of my life. Hope to meet you soon though! I have a large phase 1 area so hopefully after I have gotten through the initial test phases I can meet up for some lunch fly-outs, etc.

Chris

Weather is promising to be great on Sat and I may be out then too. If so, I'll look for you. I think you're in the row closest to South Ave, next to my old hanger.

The 9 gets you places quickly. Learning to slow down before you get to the class D is the tricky part... But have FUN !!!!

Another RV-9A flies in the Atlantic Southeast! :):)

A huge congrats! Just remember to keep your eyes outside as much as possible in Phase 1....very easy to get caught up in tweaking the EFIS and have too much "inside time."

Big time congrats Chris. Have fun and stay safe in phase 1. Keep us posted.

See you in Sebring for the Weds morning RV breakfasts.

Great Job Chris

Glad to hear it all went well. I intend to do my transition training with Jan as well. How was it flying in his 6A to carryover to your 9A? If my memory serves me the 6A has shorter wings and flaps.

Glad to hear it all went well. I intend to do my transition training with Jan as well. How was it flying in his 6A to carryover to your 9A? If my memory serves me the 6A has shorter wings and flaps.

We did a lot of no-flap landings to simulate the float of the 9A. With flaps the 6A will definitely drop much quicker. He cautioned that a lot of 9A landing accidents are the result of carrying too much speed and floating halfway or more down the runway. I felt totally in control flying final at 60 knots with full flaps - I had a nice cushion but it didn't float terribly far. Jan explained that you don't "flair" so much as arrest the descent and then hold it off with increasing stick back until it lands itself. For some reason thinking of it that way helped me.

Slow-flight was very docile down to about 50 knots after which it felt a bit wobbly and very nose-high. The stall break was pretty abrupt but straight ahead for me and recovery was just letting the stick go.

You'll enjoy transition training a lot I'm sure. Flying off Jan's grass strip was also a good experience and gets you in the habit of keeping that nose wheel up.

Chris

Congrats!

And thanks for having me do it! Chris's airplane was typical engineer---everything pretty much perfect!

Vic

Congratulations!
Looking forward to meeting you & seeing your 9 in person when I get a top off at ZPH.

Wishing you an uneventful phase 1. :)

Back