What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Inspection requirments for new aircraft

Robin8er

Well Known Member
Patron
Do new experimental airplanes require all inspections required for normal aircraft prior to receiving their air worthiness certificate?

In other words, do I need a transponder check and elt inspection prior to receiving my airworthiness inspection?

Negative...

Do new experimental airplanes require all inspections required for normal aircraft prior to receiving their air worthiness certificate?
In other words, do I need a transponder check and elt inspection prior to receiving my airworthiness inspection?

You will need to conduct a condition inspection on the aircraft before scheduling the airworthiness inspection. The transponder check and ELT inspection is required before flight (transponder, depending on you specific location) but not for the airworthiness inspection. These are operational requirements, not airworthiness requirements.

Thanks Mel. Who does the condition inspection? i assume it cannot be me if do not hold a repairmans certificate.

Thanks Mel. Who does the condition inspection? i assume it cannot be me if do not hold a repairmans certificate.

Correct, for the airworthiness inspection you'll either need a DAR to come to you, or have the local FSDO send a guy to you. Both have pros and cons. I would recommend the DAR route, specifically Mel :D because he will do an actual INSPECTION of the airplane with hands and eyeballs rather than just a paper chase. If there is something wrong, he'll see it and bring it to your attention, which is what you really want to happen.

For the initial condition inspection, the builder does it, no repairmans certificate needed for that first one.

Correct, for the airworthiness inspection you'll either need a DAR to come to you, or have the local FSDO send a guy to you. Both have pros and cons. I would recommend the DAR route, specifically Mel :D because he will do an actual INSPECTION of the airplane with hands and eyeballs rather than just a paper chase. If there is something wrong, he'll see it and bring it to your attention, which is what you really want to happen.

For the initial condition inspection, the builder does it, no repairmans certificate needed for that first one.

I think the local FSDO option is probably hit-or-miss regarding an actual inspection. I had a FSDO guy come and he spent about 4 hours poking with a flashlight into every part of the airplane. I had a page worth of things I needed to fix (all minor stuff, but still). It was invasive. But he did leave me with some confidence that the airplane was in good shape. I was actually relieved that it wasn't just a paperwork inspection.

Hey Mel...what's your fee for doing an inspection in Hawaii? Airfare and three nights in a nice hotel on the beach?? :D

Like "AIRGUY" says, the builder does the initial inspection. You don't need the repairman certificate to do the initial inspection because it is not yet an "Airplane"!

Both myself and my DAR agreed with Mel: transponder check before flight (I'm in mode C required airspace) but after inspection was okay. But the DAR said he would check with the FSDO "just to be sure", and those guys said I needed the transponder checked first! Rather than argue with them, I just had it done. As others have noted, the builder must sign off the condition inspection prior to the AW inspection, including an ELT check.

Both myself and my DAR agreed with Mel: transponder check before flight (I'm in mode C required airspace) but after inspection was okay. But the DAR said he would check with the FSDO "just to be sure", and those guys said I needed the transponder checked first! Rather than argue with them, I just had it done. As others have noted, the builder must sign off the condition inspection prior to the AW inspection, including an ELT check.

And if you're building and flying from a private strip that is not at an actual airport, like me, getting someone to come to you with a test rig can be an expensive and frustrating exercise. For me it was worth it, I'm 30 miles from the nearest airport and transporting the airplane was simply not worth the hassle.

If you're not based at an airport requiring a transponder, or can fly without encroaching on airspace that requires a transponder, do you even have to have one installed during your initial inspection? You could leave it out of the panel until you're flying, and then install it later once the plane is airworthy.

I think the local FSDO option is probably hit-or-miss regarding an actual inspection. I had a FSDO guy come and he spent about 4 hours poking with a flashlight into every part of the airplane. I had a page worth of things I needed to fix (all minor stuff, but still). It was invasive. But he did leave me with some confidence that the airplane was in good shape. I was actually relieved that it wasn't just a paperwork inspection.

This is quite variable. My FSDO inspection was 20 minutes. About 5 minute of airplane inspection and 15 minutes of paperwork review. He really only checked that the ailerons and elevator moved in the proper direction with stick travel. This is was OK for me, as I had someone experienced with RVs do a 3 hour inspection, looking for problems and common faults/errors.

Larry

Hi...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge transponder check and ELT inspection is required before flight but not for the airworthiness inspection. These are operational requirements, not airworthiness requirements.

turnkey pcb

Last edited:
Back