VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-08-2018, 08:07 PM

Default Cheap RV

I have little money but want to build a side by side RV (that would be an RV-6,7,9 or 14 (not a 12) What's your opinion of using the classified to put together an airplane from parts that people want to get rid of at bargain basement prices (if they do that sort of thing) and end up with a complete airplane? How would you suggest going about this?
Old 03-08-2018, 08:27 PM

This will be interesting to watch the opinions.

I’m not a builder, just a buyer, and I think often you can purchase a used RV (especially a -6) for a price that is similar to the price of the parts.

If you build you also have expenses of tools, workplace, supplies like chemicals, rags, and band-aids

Hard for me to imagine your idea would be “inexpensive” or a way to save money, when the ultimate goal is owning a 2 seat, side-by-side, flying RV machine.

As I’ve seen others post, if you want to build then build, if you want to fly, buy.

EDIT - Best advice might be visit the shops of some builders. Go to EAA meetings and talk over expenses involved. Maybe a partnership is the less expensive way to get access to fly an RV.

Carl

Last edited by flytoday : 03-08-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:44 PM

Default all over again

if I had to do it all over again I would have got a fixer upper or a already flying and get better accustomed to ownership and then went out and get a kit of same make and go for it. many paths to the summit
Old 03-08-2018, 11:15 PM

Easier said than done. One of the hardest issues in building an RV is keeping the momentum going. It takes $$$ to maintain a bunch of that momentum. My build project would grind to a halt until I got up off my wallet and made purchases of components/kits/supplies. Unless you collect all of the bargains you can find before you need them, it will be hard.
I think one of the best ways to get a "cheap" RV would be to take over someone else's abandoned project, but you will still have plenty to work on and need quite a bit of resources to get it airworthy. There is always the problem, too of poor build quality in some of these abandoned projects. I bought a tail kit from another builder and after further inspection, decided to buy a fresh kit from Van's. (He sweetened the deal with about $2K worth of tools with the tail for only $500!). I looked for lots of bargains during my build and found many here on VAF and took advantage of everything I could to save money. My RV-9A still cost north of 90K to get flying (lots of upgrades, but with a rebuilt engine), and that's not including paint and upholstery, which came later.
It has been worth EVERY PENNY!
APRS Tracking for KJ6YRP and New Flying Blog
2017 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor
Old 03-09-2018, 03:43 AM

It may be cheaper to shop around for a decent, older flying RV than building a new one from bargain basement or abandoned sub-kits where you may not be sure of the quality of workmanship. It would probably get you in the air quicker too, even if it took a while to find the right aircraft. Alternatively re-building a damaged RV may be worth considering, provided the work required is well defined.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:09 AM

Default Good luck!!!

I went into this building thing with a similar mindset. First off what is it that you consider "little money" because to some people 100K is little and to others 10K is? I bought a preowned tail and wing kit and saved about 5K right there. Unless you can find a fuselage kit someone is sellling then you are buying from Vans. Same goes with the finishing kit. I have been on this site for a few years now and it is hard to remember anyone selling a set of complete kits including the finishing kit. They don't come up that often and if they do you probably wouldn't want them anyway due to the build quality. Many people start this and end up selling but didn't get the finishing kit. You are looking at 7K+ for the finishing kit for a 9A which is what I'm building.
I'm not buying top of the line new anything really. I just bought an engine which is new but had sat for 7 years so saved about 5K there vs a new build. My long winded point is that you can find used kits and used parts but it will take a LONG time to find enough decent cheap used parts to build an entire airplane. You are still going to be a long ways from that 10K and much closer to that 100K.
Mattituck TMXIO-360 red gold
Dues paid Dec 17
Old 03-09-2018, 07:00 AM

the biggest problem is you will still need to put the fan up front and something to drive it. there just aint no cheap engines out there anymore.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB
Old 03-09-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n82rb View Post
the biggest problem is you will still need to put the fan up front and something to drive it. there just aint no cheap engines out there anymore.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB
How true!! I looked for over a year and thought I would buy used but in the end couldn't find what I wanted. Used engines weren't cheap enough to make it worth it. Adding in the overhaul puts you pretty close to what I paid for a new one. One overhaul shop I called told me to just buy a new engine. Pretty sure the OP can cross the 14 off his list just due to the engine and prop.
Mattituck TMXIO-360 red gold
Dues paid Dec 17
Old 03-09-2018, 07:12 AM

Default Been there

Yes you can do this but with a warning. You have to know what you are buying in terms of build quality. If you don’t know what you are buying, find another local RV builder to check it out first!! Built or mostly built empanage kits are common but the quality will variy as for many, this is the first step into the learning curve of building. I started with buying a built 7 empanage kit that was a “ good price”. I then found a complete 9 kit that was mostly built. It was also a “great price”. I traveled about 400 miles to pick it up.

Very long story short. I had sold the 7 tail kit that I never touched and having to give the money back to the buyer after he got into it and found many errors. 100% loss. Lost 50% on the 9 kit after spending a year trying to rebuild and discovered the wings where so poorly built, they where not usable.

I decided I did not want to deal with other people’s mistakes any longer and started a slow build with everything fresh and new from Van’s.

Although this process helped me get up the learning curve with building, it was an expensive lesson with both time and money.

The lesson is clear, you can save money by buying used kits, but be careful. They have to be first checked out by a knowledgeable builder.

In the end you want to feel safe and have pride in the plane you built.

Last edited by agirard7a : 03-09-2018 at 07:21 AM.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n82rb View Post

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB
Not so. One can pick up an H2AD cores for $2K. It just takes a different mount that Van's still sells (I believe.) I just overhauled one last week and I absolutely love those engines. There are several favorable attributes they have when compared to other Lycomings. For example, the tappet bodies and lifters can be easily be removed and replaced without having to split the case. Another example...the rocker pedestals are shimmed so differing lengths of pushrods are not necessary to get your dry tappet clearances in spec.
N244BJ RV-6 "victim of SNF tornado" 1200+ hrs, rebuilding
N8155F C150 flying
N7925P PA-24-250 Comanche, restoring
Not a thing I own is stock.