What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canadian Map Data for Skyview

dennis k fox

I'm New Here
I would like to hear from anyone using the Jepp. data for Canada on the Skyview map. What is your opinion of the usefulness.

I'm not flying yet and haven't bought Canadian maps for my HDX, but I can tell you the maps included in the SkyView for Canada are most certainly not useful. I think the nearest airport in the database is in Montana. I expect I'll be buying PocketFMS maps when the time comes. Will be supplementing that with my current ForeFlight subscription.

I would love to hear if anyone sees a benefit one way or the other between Jepp and PocketFMS for Canadian data.

Also, nice to see someone nearby on VAF. Not many people here from Central Alberta.

If I remember correctly we used the Skyview base map & Jeppesen North America obstacle & nav data pkg. We have used them on a 6, 7A & 12. Things like frequency migration & synthetic vision work great.
Two of these planes also use Garmins with VNC mapping, the RV12 uses Fltplan Go for VNC mapping backup.

I only have the free stock database from Dynon loaded in my skyview system, it worked fine in my recent trips to Canada for basic navigation and terrain awareness. You have to dial in the frequencies manually though. I used foreflight to plan the route, then sync the route with Skyview. I did have subscription for Canada VNC for my foreflight though.

Back