What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

high strength rivet-nut?

scsmith

Well Known Member
Does anyone know of a high-strength, high-quality blind rivet-nut?

the NAS 1330 is an aluminum rivet-nut. I am wondering if there might be a strong steel nut that might exist, maybe by Cherry?

Rivetnut

McMaster Carr has them in Steel and Stainless Steel. I buy them 1/4-20 and larger , not sure about smaller and fine thread .

Rivnuts are the devil :eek:

Unless you use them in thicker material (which we don't use much on the RV's) and use the keyed units (special install tools), they are guaranteed to 'spin' down the road at some point which makes fastener removal difficult if not impossible.

I agree in general with Walt's comments, although I have had good luck hand-filing a key notch for the keyed type. None have spun on me. I have used them in non-critical places where if it did spin, I can actually get pliers on them.

In this case, I am looking for a higher strength solution, and they really would be blind. Hopefully a one-time assembly, so as long as they don't spin on first tightening, all is good. The ability to install a flush, blind, nut would save me having to disassemble the part, which would involve screwing up paint, drilling out a ton of rivets, and then having to re-paint.

Back