What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

blown starter fuse

KRAUSEGB

Well Known Member
Just finished my first flight.

After returning to celebrate, I went out to fly again and the starter fuse had blown.
This had happened once before during engine start to syn. carbs.
Anyone else had this problem?

Gary

Congratulations on first flight.

Sorry, I haven't had a problem with fuses. You may want to double check that it is the correct fuse, and that there aren't any loose wires that could be shorting.

Gary,

That?s great that you finally got it airborne. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! I look forward to hearing about all the details of your flight. Hope to see you at EAA in the morning.

BTW?I got a hanger at KOXR this week.

Very cool! Congrats!

I have not heard of any starter issues. Better track it down.

Last edited:
I went out to fly again and the starter fuse had blown.
This had happened once before
The most likely suspect is the orange wire going to the starter contactor. Other possibilities are a weak fuse socket, bad diode across the contactor, or aluminum filings in the control board.
If the fuse is too small for the application, it seems that others would have the same problem. You are the first to have this fuse blow that I know of.
If my 2 amp starter fuse was blowing and I checked all of the above and found nothing wrong, then I would temporarily try a 3 amp fuse. I am not recommending that anyone else do that, just me. Fuses are sized to protect the wire, not the load. The wire should be able to handle 3 amps with ease. Bob Nuckolls has 7amp fuses on his schematics for the starter. A B&C aerobatic schematic that I picked up at OSH has a 5 amp fuse for the starter contactor.
Remember, I never said to use a 3 amp fuse. :D
Joe Gores

Well done on your first flight. keep us posted on your findings as the results will be helpful to all. Thanks.
Dick Seiders

.......I went out to fly again and the starter fuse had blown. This had happened once before during engine start to syn. carbs. Anyone else had this problem?Gary

Yesterday on start-up my 2 amp starter fuse blew after about one turn of the prop. Replaced with spare fuse and off we went. Anyone else seen this? I'm wondering if a 2a fuse is a little undersized for that circuit. The wire is #22, so it seems that it could be safely fused slightly higher. Of course, I don't know what the limitations might be inside the switch panel. This is a D-180 installation. Thoughts?

Update - 3 Amp Fuse Approved

I just spoke with Van's on this issue. They recognized that the original 2 amp fuse was too small, and are approving replacement with a 3 amp fuse for that circuit.

I'm wondering if a 2a fuse is a little undersized for that circuit.
Me too. You are the second person to post on VAF about the start fuse blowing. Looking at the schematic for the SkyView, I see that there is a 3 amp fuse for the starter contactor, if that tells you anything.
Joe Gores

I am away from home, but if I remember correctly, the start switch on the Skyview start module is rated for 2 amps. Dont know if the rating is continuous or intermittant. I have chosen to upgrade the switch to a higher capacity with unique keys.

I went to the 3amp fuse about 2 yrs ago after the 2amp blew. The 3a gives a blown indication which is better also.

The latest version of the POH has a 3a fuse listed on pg 2-6.

The originally specified 2 amp. fuse was based on the current requirements specification published by Rotax.
Field experience has demonstrated that their specification was a bit optimistic.

3 amp fuse needed also

I hadn't read this thread, but initially could not figure out why my starter stopped working a few weeks ago after multiple uneventful engine starts in recent months. Was thinking the battery was weak sitting in a cold hanger and just needed to be charged up. Finally noticed the fuse was blown. The spare fuses that Van's supplies has a 3 amp replacement for the Starter, even though a 2 amp is placed in the panel. Live and learn.

I had this same issue occur during my flight down to Lakeland for Sun-N-Fun last year. Stopped for fuel and the restart attempt resulted in the 2 amp fuse blowing. Installed a 3 amp fuse, same result. I tied the tail down and hand propped the engine. Yes!! it IS possible. Flew on to Sun-N Fun and landed. Tried to restart after landing and has same result. Installed my last spare 3 amp fuse and left the plane tied down for 3 days. Upon getting ready to return home (NC), I fully expected to have to try to hand start the cold engine. The engine cranked on it's own without blowing the fuse!! Stopped for fuel at the same airport (KSSI). The attempt to restart resulted in another blown fuse, my last one. After another successful hand propping, the remaining flight home was uneventful.

I had this same issue occur during my flight down to Lakeland for Sun-N-Fun last year. Stopped for fuel and the restart attempt resulted in the 2 amp fuse blowing. Installed a 3 amp fuse, same result. I tied the tail down and hand propped the engine. Yes!! it IS possible. Flew on to Sun-N Fun and landed. Tried to restart after landing and has same result. Installed my last spare 3 amp fuse and left the plane tied down for 3 days. Upon getting ready to return home (NC), I fully expected to have to try to hand start the cold engine. The engine cranked on it's own without blowing the fuse!! Stopped for fuel at the same airport (KSSI). The attempt to restart resulted in another blown fuse, my last one. After another successful hand propping, the remaining flight home was uneventful.
Troubleshooting the issue at home resulted in finding one of the two start signal connections to the soft start modules had slipped out of the crimped connector. The bare wire was barely touching a metal bracket that was grounded. Installing a new terminal on the bare wire fixed the issue.

Tom,

I'd be interested in hearing more about your hand propping experience. I've been under the apparently mistaken impression that 250 RPM are needed to generate enough voltage to start. Even with the gear box advantage I thought that would not be possible. I took the ROTAX service course last year and the instructor reinforced this belief. He also stated that the new 912is gets ignition power from the battery so it does hand prop easily.

I'd like to know because it adds an option if stuck on the road.

Thanks,

Rich

Yes, thank you! I hand propped my Cherokee once when I had a dead battery, but I'm not sure I would try it on my 12. As I get older my aversion to becoming Sushi increases. :D. But it is nice to know it can be done.

Starter fuse

I did have one blown fuse on the starter. It happened early on but none since. It has 530 hrs.

Back