VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

  #1  
Old 01-23-2018, 08:56 AM
Av8rRob's Avatar
Av8rRob Av8rRob is offline
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 174
Default Home insurance for those with airstrips?

Hey everybody, I have a question for those who have airstrips on their property, who do you use for Home Insurance? Feel free to PM or email me with details

Thanks

Rob
Av8rrob@gmail.com
__________________
Rob Lasater
Rv-14 emp/fuse done working on wings and finish
Paid dec 2017
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-23-2018, 09:41 AM
pa38112 pa38112 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Clarksboro, NJ
Posts: 508
Default

I use Farm Family for my home, but they will not cover the airstrip. I have a separate policy for that through Air Capitol Insurance. It runs me about $1,100/year, and I live in New Jersey, where insurance is notoriously off the charts.
__________________
http://aprs.fi/N153MC
2004 RV6A Flying
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-23-2018, 10:25 AM
N941WR's Avatar
N941WR N941WR is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 11,141
Default

When you talk to your broker, make sure to see if your state is one with a Recreational Use Statute in place. (Complements of the RAF.)

What it does is treat anyone who balls up their plane on your field, even if they are invited as a "trespasser". So, if they try to sue you, they have no standing. This works the same way as a hiker or fisherman.

This works as long as you are not trying profit from the runway and there is no known dangerous conditions on the runway. (Ditch, cable, equipment parked in the runway, etc.)

Here's the map.

We had one member who's liability insurance was reduced when he showed this to his broker.

Good luck!
__________________
Bill R.
RV-9 (Yes, it's a dragon tail)
O-360 w/ dual P-mags
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html

Last edited by N941WR : 01-23-2018 at 10:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-23-2018, 11:31 AM
RV7A Flyer's Avatar
RV7A Flyer RV7A Flyer is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: US
Posts: 1,412
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post
When you talk to your broker, make sure to see if your state is one with a Recreational Use Statute in place. (Complements of the RAF.)

What it does is treat anyone who balls up their plane on your field, even if they are invited as a "trespasser". So, if they try to sue you, they have no standing. This works the same way as a hiker or fisherman.

This works as long as you are not trying profit from the runway and there is no known dangerous conditions on the runway. (Ditch, cable, equipment parked in the runway, etc.)

Here's the map.

We had one member who's liability insurance was reduced when he showed this to his broker.

Good luck!
IANAL, but...at least in CA, the statute reads, in part:

Quote:
This section does not limit the liability which otherwise exists (a) for willful or malicious failure to guard or warn against a dangerous condition, use, structure or activity; or (b) for injury suffered in any case where permission to enter for the above purpose was granted for a consideration other than the consideration, if any, paid to said landowner by the state, or where consideration has been received from others for the same purpose; or (c) to any persons who are expressly invited rather than merely permitted to come upon the premises by the landowner.
As I said, IANAL, but seems to me to read that if you invite your flying buddies to your place, and one of them gets hurt or killed, then the "recreational purpose" exemption doesn't apply...you expressly invited them.
__________________
2017 Dues paid!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-23-2018, 12:01 PM
JonJay's Avatar
JonJay JonJay is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Battleground
Posts: 3,682
Default

You might try Regal Aviation. This is what our HOA uses. They may or may not have a product for your home and/or property. Our policy is strictly liability. Each home owner carries their own personal Home policies. I carry an additional umbrella policy with an aviation rider.
__________________
Smart People do Stupid things all the time. I know, I've seen me do'em.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-23-2018, 12:53 PM
N941WR's Avatar
N941WR N941WR is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 11,141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7A Flyer View Post
IANAL, but...at least in CA, the statute reads, in part:

As I said, IANAL, but seems to me to read that if you invite your flying buddies to your place, and one of them gets hurt or killed, then the "recreational purpose" exemption doesn't apply...you expressly invited them.
Only in California would they make such a dumb law! I knew there was a reason I took a transfer from CA to NJ back in the 90's. Although I'm not sure NJ politics was really any better because they have had longer to practice the art.

Don't invite them. Problem solved.
__________________
Bill R.
RV-9 (Yes, it's a dragon tail)
O-360 w/ dual P-mags
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-23-2018, 01:49 PM
RV7A Flyer's Avatar
RV7A Flyer RV7A Flyer is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: US
Posts: 1,412
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post
Only in California would they make such a dumb law! I knew there was a reason I took a transfer from CA to NJ back in the 90's. Although I'm not sure NJ politics was really any better because they have had longer to practice the art.

Don't invite them. Problem solved.
Well, it appears NJ doesn't even *have* recreational use statutes at all. I suppose (again, IANAL) that means that even an uninvited hunter, hiker or aviator can hold the landowner liable. Good plan.
__________________
2017 Dues paid!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-23-2018, 02:10 PM
N941WR's Avatar
N941WR N941WR is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 11,141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7A Flyer View Post
Well, it appears NJ doesn't even *have* recreational use statutes at all. I suppose (again, IANAL) that means that even an uninvited hunter, hiker or aviator can hold the landowner liable. Good plan.
Yep, because then I was transferred again. This time to the Carolinas.
__________________
Bill R.
RV-9 (Yes, it's a dragon tail)
O-360 w/ dual P-mags
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-23-2018, 05:34 PM
az_gila's Avatar
az_gila az_gila is online now
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: 57AZ - NW Tucson area
Posts: 9,008
Question Umbrellas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJay View Post
You might try Regal Aviation. This is what our HOA uses. They may or may not have a product for your home and/or property. Our policy is strictly liability. Each home owner carries their own personal Home policies. I carry an additional umbrella policy with an aviation rider.
Is your umbrella policy with one of the big national firms?

I'm interested in the aviation rider option.
__________________
Gil Alexander
EAA Technical Counselor, Airframe Mechanic
Half completed RV-10 QB purchased
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:19 PM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.