What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Soaring An RV-12

E. D. Eliot

Well Known Member
With more than 400 RV-12 out there and flying, I'm wondering if any of you have any experience soaring in the 12? Just a crazy thought?

I don't have an RV-12, I fly a Flight Design CTSW. At the invitation of a good good glider flying friend, I went up one day. He found the lift in his DG800 and I tagged along. I got 1200 fpm lift once in a while.
On the other hand, one day I went to 10,000 feet, shut off the engine and proceeded to glide down to 4,000 feet at book best L/D. My glide ration is about 9:1, much lower than I'd hoped (but a good number to know).
There is no doubt in my mind that many small aircraft can gain altitude in ridge or wave lift, but in thermal lift I think it will be a pretty special day to do much.

Soaring

I have used the 12 wing as a lift device on a few occasions. Taking off on a high density altitude day from an high mountain airport and not being at an altitude to get over the ridge, I have thermal climb several thousand feet to gain altitude. I put the engine at cruise power while thermaling. It works well and keeping the engine from getting hot. I have a lot of glider time and that helps.

Rich

hmmmm perhaps Mr. Van himself?????

Surely with competition glider time under his belt, Van has toyed with this more than once. If I recall, the RV-11 is a motorglider.
quite possible that someone else has done a little engineering, and added some span to the -12. Heck, the wings are obviously made to pull out just like the big brother gliders!
With an electric prop, or something else that will full feather, I'd think the -12 is clean enough to do some respectable thermaling...but I'm just a dumb power pilot...totally at gravity's mercy! :rolleyes:

Back